vertigo

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been reading post concerning people with on going disorders of the inner ear.  It is very depressing & upsetting as to how long this can go on.

I started a year ago & suddenly felt much better for a few months.  BUT the feeling good did not last.  I can wake up feeling not so bad but on movement I start feeling weird in my head.  Does that happen to anyone else?

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marie. Yes, it can definitely work like that. I am so much more sensitive to weather changes, stress,  anxiety. You name it. I can be feeling pretty good and then wake up feeling so rotten. I never knew people went through this until it happened to me. Now I just take one day at a time, sometimes one hour, sometimes I concentrate on just getting through the moment. 
  • Posted

Hi Marie' Very much agree with Mary.  Like her I am so much more sensitive to weather patterns and stress etc. It has taken me a whole lot of time and stress to realise this - I have had this awful condition for just over 16 months now. Some days are better than others. I have done VRT and I'm not sure it helped that much.

These days I take one day at a time. Having said that I do try and stay as active as possible within that parameter. I have found one of the most useful forms of exercise for me is that of deep water aqua aerobics. Can only think this is because, like the VRT exercises it makes my head bob around a lot and I am unbalanced a lot, we all are, so no one is any different to me in the water!  I'm not up to swimming freestyle yet as when I turn my head to breath I get dizzy still and this unnerves me a bit - well a lot if I'm honestsmile I try and do something everyday. I'm lucky because I belong to a great centre with gymnasium, pools and lots of classes. Some days I'm not up to much for whatever reason so is just take in one of the more gentle classes or take it easy on myself.  

Try ray not to get too anxious. It makes it worse. Hard I know but you can learn to live with it.  I didn't belief I could, but it have.

Best of luck

hristine

• Posted

Hi Marie....We are all going through this..sadly to say.....some morning I wake up feeling good  but then the dizziness starts and I am shot for the day........Its a fighting battle ....tired......disgusted........want to cry some days.......But you have to try to keep going best that you can........Keep us posted
    • Posted

You stated, "I am shot for the day."  Isn't that the most debilitating thing!  I agree with you Rita52071.  Horrific but true!  My quality of life is suffering greatly!  Have you seen a good healthcare provider?  If you don't have an answer to WHY you're getting these episodes, you need to keep trying new providers until you hit one that is actually worth the education he or she received!  What's weird is I have found PAs and Nurse Practioners to be more apt to want to solve this puzzle, and often thinking outside of the box from the MDs.
    • Posted

Hello --you all are so supportive.  Too bad we can't sit around drinking tea & boost each others spirits.  We do that here without the tea..  In my case I remember having sneezing attacks.  It was in October of last year & I thought I must have an allergy.  For some reason I also said to my husband I hope this doesn't start some dizziness.  Years ago I was dx with benigh positional vertigo.  But this time I tested negative for that issue.  Too bad because that is treatable

I thought It went away & I was so happy to fee "normal".  At least for a while.  Fatigue - yes all of what you said.  I am outgoing & sociable & this just messes with you whole self.  Tomorrow will be better.

• Posted

LOL yes that would be nice tea......have dr appt today  dont know what she is going to say...I was a very outgoing person, sociable etc...now forget it....Just want to get back to my normal self...... I just feel now if these drs are correct with the fact that I have MAV  why did these meds stop working....My doctor told me that I will contiue seeing omprovement   We;;.....that idea went out the window..........
    • Posted

Here! Here! I would love to be invited to that tea! This whole balance thing has affected my life more than anything else ever. I have been very lucky in that I am showing lots of improvement since I started my balance therapy. I just got home from a session and my test results today from the balance machine were really good,  especially considering I could hardly stand up when I started a couple of months ago. I  just do what I can and keep hoping. When I first started therapy,  and before I got my hearing aids,  I had lost all hope. I sat in my first meeting with my physical therapist crying from desperation and due to her kindness. Today we cried together with joy that I have been able to make the progress that I have. I still have a long way to go and I fear setbacks, but I am trying to live some kind of decent life. I feel for each and every one of you and wish I could extend hugs and hope. 

• Posted

Hi Marie, Have you gone to a doctor about it? You could have loose "crystals" in your inner ear. Sometimes they get loose for various reasons, and a physical therapist or ENT doctor can put them back into place with various head movements (Epley maneuvers). Sorry if you know this alread, but I never heard of it until it happened to me about a year ago.

I do not have good or bad days... they are all the same. When I move my head back or down, I get the dizziness. I also have what I can only describe as a light-headed, bouncy feeling when I move my head. I still am not sure if they are related,  but some say they are.

You might also be sensitive to sinus pressure with could change with weather. There is also a condition where you have an imflammed vestibular nerve. All worth check at the doctors office.

Good luck, it can be a long process, unfortunatley -first to diagnosis it correctly, then the rehabilitate your brain to adapt to any changes.

rolleyes

• Posted

Here is the main problem:  Healthcare providers to NOT take this seriously enough and for some reason, do not explore valid options for curing the underlying disorder that is causing the vertigo.  I have felt "stoned" for months, full headed, tinitus, glands swollen enough to make me think I had the mumps, but would go away in 24 hours.  I don't get a fever, which can be misleading. 

Some causes:  Chronic sinusitus (cigarette smoking may contribute to increased otitus media infections as well), TOOTH issues (some of which you may not be aware of if you've had a root canal in the infected tooth!), BPPV (involves the crystals in your inner ear becoming dislodged and free float, bumping into your balance canals!), inflamation of the ear from tissue swelling, cyst, tumor (benign usually!). 

Additionally, there are drugs that treat the vertigo while you are healing that AREN'T AVAILABLE IN THE U.S.!  Only in the EU! 

• Posted

Yes this does, and sadly a lot of doctors don't take vertigo serious. I think mostly because they hope it's just actue attack that will only happen once. The truth however is that some 60% of people who expereince vertigo will again in their lifetime. Some more often than others, and unfortantly for some others it never seems to go away. You have to find a doctor that takes you serious and is willing to work with you. An ENT is offen referred but even a primary doctor should be able to test for forms of vertigo like bppv. Sudden movements are one of the biggest tiggers of vertigo so if this keeps happening find yourself a doctor who will work with you to find out what the root of the problem is. Good luck!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.