Vertigo... 5 months later (first wooziness, now headaches)

Posted , 4 users are following.

At the end of November, I woke up early in the morning to go to the bathroom. I sat up and it felt as though someone put me in a hamster ball and kicked me down a hill. It eventually subsided and got to the ER. I was definitely woozy all day but the doc's nixed BPPV and I took an audiology test so they said we could rule out any tumor, but somehow we arrived labyrinthitis or vestibular neuritis. They sent me on my way and said that I should feel better in a week or two and could potentially go to a wedding in a few days... That boggled my mind, especially when the vertigo came back around the same time each of the next 2-3 days.

Over the past 5 months, I've had good days and bad. A neurologist likened this to someone fixing the hardware and software on a computer at the same time. He said my hardware has been corrected but now my software is trying to catch up. I have no idea if it's correct or not, but I have tried to be patient. It has helped knowing that other people have dealt with the same wooziness/moonwalking/out of body feelings. I've struggled to focus and having dealt with concussions, I feel like I'm constantly recovering from one. It hasn't kept me from working but I continue to worry I was misdiagnosed and that there is something more serious going on. What has me more worried is that in the last 2-3 weeks, headaches have started. They're rarely in the same spot/feel like they're actually always in a different part of my brain, but the temple pain and pressure does not help the anxiety.

Has anyone else recovered from this and ran into these headaches as part of the healing process? Many thanks!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

have you had anxiety before all of this? I've had anxiety on and off for 8 years but mostly on for the last 4 months

I've had this weird balance issue for 5 weeks now and my symptoms keep changing, went from balance to tight muscles and muscle twitches, felt like my stomach would get upset at anything i ate, now its insomnia and tinnitus waking up every 2 hours, doctors all say its BPPV or anxiety, i've had an MRI of the brain and bloods done and all came back fine

still struggling to find out what it is, 

• Posted

Gosh, you sound just like me.   And to add to you, I had BPPV for the last 6 weeks. It is getting better, but just get these crazy feelings through the day that I am being quickly pulled to the right.   Also I have had a PVD in my left eye too  (posterior vitreous detachment), so that is sending me to the moon

In the last year I have weaned off 2 anxiety meds, and been off them for about 4-5 months, but still going through withdrawal symptoms.

It all just sucks

• Posted

I've never been an anxious person at all, so constantly worrying that I'm going to pass out or tip over (or have a seizure... I've been wedMD'ing too much) has probably not helped at all.

The weirdest thing has been that I've slept great... It's the most comfortable I feel all day, but any little twitch or feeling I get in my body makes me think that something worse is going on. The consistent headaches have just been the latest feeling I'm getting.

• Posted

The most consistent symptoms are the balance, waking up during the night multiple times and muscle twitching ie lip, eyelid etc
    • Posted

It's weird... For me, it doesn't feel so much like a balance issue has it does a "floating" one. I don't feel like I'm on a boat but I don't feel like the ground is firmly beneath me... Almost like I'm floating.

Sleep has been fine, but the headaches are bothersome. Neck has been very tight as well, so I'm wondering if it's a product of that.

• Posted

They need to rule out serious issues, stroke, tumor, etc. If it's nothing dangerous it's probably as docs said. After a episode like this your brain trys to compensate for the imbalance in you inner ear. Surprised he didn't send you for vestibular rehab. Retrain your brain to deal with it. Sometimes it eventually fixes it's self. Sometimes the rehab can fix it faster.

• Posted

I just booked my first rehab appointment... I'm hoping that someone that sees this everyday might be able to explain the headaches. I just haven't seen many people talk about headaches as apart of the process. Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.