Vertigo after a bender

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've got a new side effect after a binge weekend.  Due to personal problems I drank a spectacular amount of wine and gin this weekend whilst still being highly functioning.  I'm going to get this under control and today I feel really guilty.  I don't feel particuarly hungover and I don't really get hangovers but I feel very toxic and I've got vertigo.  I've never had that before.  Has anyone else?  I often feel like a drink in the morning but today I don't so I know I really overdid it. I think the worst part it that I drank for wrong reasons, not because it makes me feel better but because I was unhappy and on self destruct.  I'm worried about this vertigo and I feel fizzy!  Going to drink some water and hope the feeling passes.  I'm at work but my motivation today is zero. 

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

This will be a combination of the excessive drinking and your brain and body adjusting to the medication, Alex.

Remember that this is not a magic pill and you are looking to help the process be smoother by learning to slow down the first drink or two and listening to your brain. That way, you will hear the message that you have had enough and put the drink down. I know this takes practise, but it's worth it just to make the process smoother.

As you've just discovered to your discomfort, the medication will not stop you putting the drink to your mouth if you are hell-bent on doing so!  And it won't stop you getting drunk if that is what you are going to do.  It takes some input from you too.

Some people have worser hangovers on this medication for some reason.  I personally didn't, but I know many who did and have nicknamed it a 'nalover'.

• Posted

Hi Jo,

Thanks for your reply, I was just reading a part on your story on your site where you write:

Despite what you may have read in the past, recovery from alcoholism doesn’t have to be miserable at all.  The Sinclair Method encourages the positive, so the negative can slowly fall away.

And that made me feel very happy.  

I havent started the Naltrexone yet, they are on order and I'm waiting for delivery.  When  I start I'll really commit to it, it has to work for me and I've got total hope. Thanks so much for your support and i'll let you know when the pills arrive and I start the TSM journey xx

• Posted

Hi Alexandra,

I know that feeling... after totally over-indulging... Oh well, at least the binge is over !  The toxic system needs LOTS OF WATER, flush it out... all day.

Well, that works for me.

I do get Vertigo, after over-drinking... rather than a hangover-headache.  Also, I don't feel like drinking alcohol, "ever again", or eating !

I hope you feel better, really soon.

Today is a new day.  We all start again.  We all try again.

Blessings to you, in the struggle.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Thank you Alonangel, I'll try to drink water more and especially today as you say to flush out the toxins. My normal day goes 4 x cups of tea then 1 x bottle of sparking water then bored and wine then gin.  I've ordered Naltrexone.  Hoping for the sort of recovery Joanna has experienced.  I appreciate your supportive words xx
  • Posted

Yes I've felt like that the next morning after a two day binge.

The best way I can describe it, is I feel like I'm walking off the ground, like walking on air. I feel dizzy and have to use the bannister just to go upstairs, and as for using escalators, no way.

By the afternoon/early evening it's gone. Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Gosh it's realy bad isn't it?  So hard to explain why you are like that if you are trying to function at the same time.  Feels like you're going mad.  I feel better but back on the booze.  Going to do the Naltexone/Sinclair Method as soon as the pills arrive.  Excited and want to succeed but in a funny way I feel like drinking as much as possible before.  It's not funny at all, I know im making it more difficult for myself in the long run xx
    • Posted

Best luck on getting going with TSM, Alexandra! After 5 months, I've just had my first dry week in over 30 years. It really isn't a strain, I just don't think about the drink, but if in a week or two down the road I actually do feel like a beer, I'll apply the One Hour Rule and deal AUD another blow. 
    • Posted

Oh the hope!  Just so wonderful!  Well done with your recovery and I hope I'll be another success xx
    • Posted

ADE that's brilliant. Whole week dry, we'll done. You must be so pleased with yourself. The tablets are obviously working for you.
    • Posted

Thanks, Vickylou!

Yes, the Naltrexone seems to have erased the compulsion for now, too early to call a cure though. Very encouraging results in any case.

• Posted

It is the same reason that you get the shakes in the morning, you have knocked for six your central nervous system (and PNS).

For those with too much time on their hands, Google 'vestibular system dysfunction alcohol' particularly 'inner ear'.

From the Wiki page; Alcohol can also cause alterations in the vestibular system for short periods of time and will result in vertigo and possibly nystagmus. This is due to the variable viscosity of the blood and the endolymph during the consumption of alcohol. The common term for this type of sensation is the "Bed Spins".

• Posted

Thank you so much RH.  I'm going to google it, just perhaps just not right now.  Want to frighten myself tomorow morning when my resolve is stronger.  Going to get better.  Thank you for the alert, I asked for it and i need it.  Starting Naltrexone as soon as it arrives (ordered from the US)  Hope you had a lovely birthday xx
    • Posted

You're like a walking encyclopaedia!! Full of very useful and helpful advise and useful information 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.