Vertigo and dehydration

Posted , 14 users are following.

I may have posted this but can't find it so apologies ... a friend with vertigo is convinced keeping hydrated helps with his vertigo ... is there any evidence for this or is it just good general health advice ?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I mean, I don't have proof like from a study or anything but I definitly know that it's worse when I'm dehydrated and the more water I'm drinking the faster an episode can subside. I sort of feel there is a connection between hydration and blood pressure (which is actually affected by lots of your health factors) and there seems to be a connection between your blood pressure and how severe the dizziness will be. At least that's how it feels.
    • Posted

Hi again Manda, thanks for your thoughts, they are useful,

this is the kind of information that is needed to help others and I was going to list all of the symptoms and potential remedies/alleviants so as to help others, especially newbies. It upsets me so much to see a new person arrive at our collective mailboxes sounding so scared, time for some positive action. Sadly, I am spending this weekend trying to fix said mirror as the owner of the house is returning from overseas next Tuesday, and I just know that she will think that I was drunk. Oh yes, I must remove all of the empty bottles from her laundry too, don't want to add fuel to the fire. Byes for now, Jon

• Posted

You should definity list the symptoms and potential remedies when you are done fixing that mirror! I agree that I really feel for the newbies here as I remember how frightened I had been six months ago and how releived I was to see so many people with similar stories and new information on this site.

I find new info on here all the time that really helps.

• Posted

Nice to read so many excellent contributions ... Jonaustralia mentioned several things that were "Blood pressure related" - what did you mean by that Jon, is there a BP link with vertigo ?
    • Posted

Another discussion on this forum from Becky Louise on migraines started a long time ago but she recently got back on talking about blood pressure medication her doctor put her on that helped a lot. I mention it because her migraines were like mine with dizzy spells, vertigo, auras etc. and she may have good info to give you if you message her or get on her discussion. I only skimmed some of it a couple of months ago as I feel my own treatment is helping me personally. I am personally trying to avoid all medication, just my own preference.
  • Posted

Hi Roger

I used to get Vertigo all the time like once a month.

I cured it for myself and other friends by drinking more water plus you need to 

take magnesium glycinate everyday.

• Posted

Hi Gary (G9). Your comments are exactly what we are looking for in our encyclopedia of treatments from around the world and I shall include them in it soon. Kind regards, Jon
  • Posted

Just to add to the confusion (my confusion) I think I have a touch of postural hypotension. I say "I think" as, of course, it could be the bppv. Sometimes when I stand from a sitting position I feel 'light headed' ... heart or ear this is the question ?

Interestingly one reason for postural hypotension is dehydration so forcing myself to drink more water (which I must say I find difficult, I can stand in a bar and drink a pint of beer with no trouble but a pint of water is a struggle) !

Roger

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.