vertigo and dizziness

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I notice that many people here have varying symptoms with regards dizziness. I realise that many of you have been diagnosed with specific conditions but some of you seem uncertain about the underlying cause of their discomfort..

I had been diagnosed with labyrinthitis but noticed that my various symptoms ocurred after eating certain foods. Acid reflux and dizziness can be a big clue that the problem originates from digestive issues. The acid can affect hearing and can cause ringing in the ears, dizziness and many other symptoms, such as balance issues, hedaches, nausea and tiredness. I would urge many of you who are uncertain of the underlying problem to keep track of what you are eating to see if your diet is linked to your symptoms.

In my case, the source of my problems has been proven to be digestive with carbohydrates proving to be a major trigger. I now take essential enzymes, probiotics, B12, Iron, folic acid and follow a low carb diet which has helped significantly.

It's worth reading the many articles and research on pre-diabetes and also B12 deficiency symptoms. Talk to your GP about your findings, as I did, before taking any of the supplements.

I feel so much better now that I'm tackling the root cause of my problem and I I hope my own story can be a source of help to someone else.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi which carbs affect you ? And did you eliminate foods one by one to figure it out? Thanks
    • Posted

HI CCincal.

Caffeine, sugars (that includes alcohol, cakes, fizzy drinks and bread) and gluten are the worse offenders. I started by going on a very basic paleo diet. The only carbs I ate on that were pumpkin and sesame seeds, almonds and cashews. Yes, it was boring and quite repetitive with meals but I was surprised to feel an improvement within a week.

I cut out milk products and started drinking almond milk.Thankfully, mature cheese only has traces of carbs and so that was okay. I also cut out all fruits, potatoes, rice, gravy (used the meat juices instead). Then I started the B12, iron, probiotics and essential enzymes and started reintroducing foods one at a time.

The most noticeable indictor for me was the ringing in my ears which started during or after eating something I reintroduced that was not agreeable. It was far more pronounced and immediate than before I started the paleo diet. For me, one apple or a few strawberries are okay and a small amount of basmati rice. I still don't eat potatoes or milk products and allow myself some desserts on weekends. Bizzarly, I have more energy and a better mood staying off complex carbohydrates.

Not surprisingly, I have lost weight but not too much and am maintaining my optimum weight. The symptoms have eased, I am not fatigued and my mood is more positive.

It worked for me and my GP was supportive in my decision to tackle this without prescription medicines, since I already take injections for my arthritis.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks. I will have to try something like that. Even though I got allergy testing done I think I'm developing food sensitivities as I age.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.