Vertigo and flying

Posted , 6 users are following.

can anyone tell me if cabin pressure affects the  ears ...and therefore my equilibrium.? 

I've done the room spinning wildly, now down to a woozy dizzy feeling when my head  is tilted on a certain angle..usually looking downwards. 

I gave a long flight booked and am very concerned if I'll be able to walk. The sleeping thing is also a worry ...

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Good news from me!  When I am experiencing BPPV relaltes vertigo, I find flying actualy decreases me suymptoms.
    • Posted

Good news! Thanks. But what about taking off and landing when the plane is on a different angle to the ground? 
  • Posted

I fly twice a year and it does affect me when the plane is descending to land due to cabin pressure I think  the cabin crew said.  I don't think it's the duration of the flight that is the problem but the cabin pressure when descending. I tried ear plugs which made no difference.  After the flight my weak left ear always feels bunged up for a couple of day and sometimes I feel more dizzy for a while.  I have BPPV in my left ear.  

• Posted

hi Anne, thanks for the reply, A previous correspondent suggested that it could be the angle of the plane as it takes off ....which in turn naturally changes the angle the head. ...same with landing...I dont know...but after I land I sure dont want to be so dizzy I cant walk out of the landing area of the airport.! I'll try asking at my next hospital visit. I read in some info on this website that people with vertigo cant be pilots ...thats comforting! A dizzy pilot isnt a good thought! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.