Vertigo and tight neck muscles

Posted , 19 users are following.

A few weeks ago my neck muscles became tight for no obvious reason. I didnt think anything of it and though it would just go away but it got worse and upper back muscles became tight also.

A few weeks of this and suddenly one day when I laid on my back to do some physio on my neck everything started spinning. I now have a constant off balance feeling even when still and I can make the spinning occur again when I lay my head down or sit up from laying down. It seems to be worse If I lay on my left side.  

This cant be just a coincidence ive never had either of these things before, can neck muscle tightness cause this vertigo?

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

You can also have dizziness from issues with the SCM muscle in your neck. Look up trigger points for the SCM.
  • Posted

Yes it can. I have spondylosis of my neck and it tigers my vertigo along with other pain.  It seems to make the vertigo worse when i have an episode. I also have BPPV but hadn't had a problem with that for 3 years prior to this.

• Posted

Thanks for replies after I got the dizziness I went to GP and got a cervical xray. The xray report said I had mild spondylitis around C5 C6. GP just said go and get physio and if dizziness doesnt go away come back.

I'm trying the Epley manuevre for BPPV in case its that. My symptoms seem to match the BPPV symptoms and when I do the moves I get the spinning at the expected points. Would other causes of vertigo mimmick BPPV like this?

On my third go I got no spinning at the first step so I stopped. Still feeling off balance though when standing.  Only reason I think it might be BPPV is the neck stretching I was doing prior to this is very similar to the Epley move. I would hang my head off the bed for a few minutes to let gravity stretch the neck. The next day the vertigo started. Maybe some crystals came loose or something. 

I will report back any progress. 

• Posted

Hi

I also went on Gabapentin and after I went off I still felt dizzy.  I have four herinated disc in neck plus all the other stuff.  I wonder if its the gab or vertigo from neck?

Naomi

Let me know how it goes for you...Thanks

• Posted

I have the exact same problem.  You need to complete the Epley or I find the half-somersault maneuver easier for me to do at home alone.  Also anxiety from all this can make the feelings of BPPV worse. With the spondalosis don't hang your head over the bed backwards again.

• Posted

Unfortunately my vertigo is worse now.  I went to bed last night feeling excellent and I thought the Epley move might have worked but just 4 hours of sleep later I was woken up by the vertigo.  I didnt roll over or anything and was just sleeping on my back.  I had this the night before too when accidentally slept on my left side but it settled down quickly once I went to my right.

This time it is not settling down at all even when keeping my head still. I can't sleep now as every time I close my eyes it feels like im rolling over. I can barely walk straight but it feels better walking as I think you are using your other senses to try and compensate. 

This is horrible and it seems to be getting worse not better for me.

• Posted

For 48 hours ater you do the Epley you need to sleep sitting up.  Do it again and try that.
    • Posted

Thanks I am not getting the spinning vertigo when I do the Epley move now but the general feeling of dizziness and imbalance doesnt feel any better yet.  

• Posted

Can no longer sleep without getting dizzy,  doesn't matter how still or which side I lay on now.  Last night I went to bed feeling good and after just 1 hour of sleep i woke up dizzy and it doesnt stop. It's like falling asleep is the trigger for dizziness to come back

• Posted

Can you sleep sitting propped up on pillows?
    • Posted

Yes that was my next step. I find it hard to get to sleep in that position but I am keen to see if it makes a difference.
    • Posted

Able to sleep much better now and dizziness is fading. Guess I just had to wait it out. Must have been BPPV as I still have neck muscle problems
  • Posted

Hi

My Symptoms looks similar to yours. Did you take the VNG tests to identify the root cause of the vertigo. I am scheduled next week . I go good to bed thinking next day is better , but end up getting up with Vertigo. I tlooks like more like cervical vertigo to me. Let me know what have you been doing and if you condition is better now .

• Posted

I never did anything else to treat it and just waited it out, the residual dizziness faded over a month or so and Ive had no repeat. The neck tightness also faded over the following few months. It's still there a bit but just ignoring it seems to work best for me. I have a daily stretch routine I still do since it started. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.