Vertigo balance problem

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone else have the same symptoms as me while I await an appointment with ENT.I'm constantly feeling "wonky" when I walk and when I turn or move my head it feels like I'm still moving in that direction after I've stopped,I've had this for about 3 months now and it seemed to start following a very bad Shingles attack (but not in my ears) I've already had brain CT and MRI scans because I reported it to the Docs when I was in Hospital for another reason and they came back normal so they arranged an appointment with ENT balance clinic,I've also had the Dix Halpyke which did not provoke any nystigmus.

Thanks in advance,

Del.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Have you seen a neuro-otologist? They specialize in the inner ear and may be able to help you more.
    • Posted

Hi nikki, no, the referring Doctor didn't see the need so I've only been referred Ear nose & throat department for balance assessment.

• Posted

I would try to get a referral to neurotologist like Nikki mentioned. It may take a while to get into see one. ENT may not be able to help. If he can't you will be on the list atleast. If he helps, cancel neurotologist.

• Posted

Thanks Wafalobill, yes I will mention it to my GP,but in my area of the UK on the NHS I think one has to see the Augiologist for assessment then be referred up if the tests indicate the need,I can't afford to pay for private treatment.

• Posted

My ENT had a audiologist in his office. But the neurotologist I was referred to had one as well and repeated audiogram.
  • Posted

Hi - you need to see a neurologist.  ENT dont know much about this.  It can be vestibular migraine.  Instead of getting the headache the brain stem sends electricity over the vestibular system.  Can be known as migraine associated vertigo.  Go on FB and there is a brilliant site for VESTIBULAR MIGRAINE.  Should help you a lot.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks Paula, you could be right as some days I feel "normal" again and other days I've got that drunk feeling,I think the Doc thinks I had Labyrinthitis after the Shingles which hasn't compensated and now I need some rehab.

• Posted

Just had my appointment in the post and it's an hour at Audiology for "balance assessment rehabilitation" - Anybody had this or know what it entails ?.

• Posted

i feel this way for allmost 2 year now .i go for walk and feel i am on a boat . 24/7.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that bertin,it's a horrible feeling,have you had any tests or treatments ?

• Posted

You all seem to have the same symptoms as me. Are you just learning to live with it, and are you still driving.

• Posted

I'm trying my best to let my body adjust but on really bad days I take Prochlorperazine tablets.I also have an appointment soon at the balance clinic.

• Posted

I stopped driving last December, it makes me feel worse and I have eye sight problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.