Vertigo - came back! What should I do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I'm a 27 old male and have had a period of persistent, continuous vertigo for about 3-4 weeks. Luckily, it was not that bad (meaning I was able to walk, not significantly nauseous). I went to see a private GP at the 3rd week of this period for vertigo and shortness of breath but he only said it's most probably about inner ear and will subside in a week for vertigo, and gave an inhaler for shortness of breath after listening lungs & heart with the suspicion of mild asthma. As he said, vertigo went away within a week and I lived happily for a week or two. But about 2-3 days ago, it came BACK. It's not as intense as before, but I can still feel the world spinning. It's again mostly continuous, and not related to my position as far as I can tell.

I have been known to have panic attacks, and I went to A&E for 3 times, to my NHS GP 2 times and a private GP once in the last 6 months. So I really DO NOT want to go to a doctor. I don't want to waste anyone's time, and it doesn't help myself too. 

So, any idea what might be the source of this vertigo? I don't have any other symptoms worth noting, such as ear-related symptoms or a headache, etc. And, I just came out of a very stressful period, but that period is over and I don't feel particularly anxious or depressed now (except some health anxiety due to this).

Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

YES SIR I HAVE BEEN THERE TOO. ABOUT 10 YRS. AGO I HAD A VERY BAD VERTIGO ATACK.

I COULDENT DRIVE A CAR FOR 13 WKS. AND BARLY WALK WITHOUT FEELING DIZZY.

?I HATED TO GO TO THE GROCERY STORE AND WALK UP END DOWN THE ISLES,LOOKING

?FOR THE FOOD IT MADE ME DIZZY. THEN AS TIME WENT ON I WAS ABLE TO DRIVE. BUT EVEN NOW I HAVE CONSTANT DIZZY FEELING ALL THE TIME. AVEN AFTER 10 TEARS AGO. ALL MY TESTS WERE

?FINE MRI  OK. I DO HAVE RINGING IN MY EARS ALL THE TIME. I WENT TO ATLEAST 6 ENT

DOCTORS SINCE AND NO LUCK. LAST WEEK ? I TOOK ONE MORE CHANCE AND SEEN A ENT DOCTOR.

HE GAVE ME A GOOD EXAM, AND TO MY SUPERISE SAID I WAS HAVING (ANXIETY ATTACKS) THAT

?WAS CAUSING MY DIZZINESS. I THOUGHT HE WAS CRAZY, BUT HE GAVE ME A PERSCRIPTION

?FOR (ALPRAZOLAM .5 MG.) I JUST STARTED THEM YESTERDAY. I HAVE (OCD) OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER AND I KNOW THAT IS ME. I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY MANNY PEOPLE

?THAT I AM OCD. AND ANOTHER PATIENT  IN OUR GROUT WAS DIAGNOSED WITH A ANXIETY 

?PROBLEM  TOO. SO I WAIT A WHILE TO SEE IF THESE PILL WILL WORK FOR MY DIZZY PROBLEM.

• Posted

I've had vertigo off and on for years, but I can pinpoint mine to position. When I roll over too quickly in my sleep for example , or get water in my ear from swimming, mine is probably BPPV relating to an inner ear problem. What helps me is Carol Fosters' exercises, University of Colorado, look it up on Youtube. There are some inexpensive medications that can slow the spin down, but I can barely function on them, they knock you out. Go the doctor and keep pushing to get solutions, but research on your own as well, would be my advice.

• Posted

I've had vertigo off and on for years, but I can pinpoint mine to position. When I roll over too quickly in my sleep for example , or get water in my ear from swimming, mine is probably BPPV relating to an inner ear problem. What helps me is Carol Fosters' exercises, University of Colorado, look it up on Youtube. There are some inexpensive medications that can slow the spin down, but I can barely function on them, they knock you out. Go the doctor and keep pushing to get solutions, but research on your own as well, would be my

• Posted

YES ANXIETY CAN MAKE YOU DIZZY IT DID FOR ME. I WENT TO A ENT DOCTOR AND HE GAVE A MEDICINE FOR ANXIETY AND IT REALLY HELPS TOO. IV BEEN ON IT FOR 3 WEEKS NOW. SEE A OLDER ENT DOCTOR THEY HAVE MORE EXPERENCE. 50 TO 60 YRS OLD. THIS WAS AFTER 6 OTHER DOCTORS

​WITH NO HELP AND DIFFERENT OPINIONS

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.