Vertigo dizziness morning after colonoscopy. Is this normal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi...so I had my colonoscopy yesterday at 12:30pm. I was nervous but apart from a bit of dosconfort it was fine (and I suffer from anxiety) after being in recovery for 30 mins I was able to get up and get dressed. Although I felt slightly nauseated and a bit dizzy and off balance it didn't last long and by the time I got home I was just tired.

I had a sleep for 3 hours and when I woke up it was weird...like I wanted to wake up but felt so tired and struggled to move. After a few minutes I got up and was fine for the rest of the night.

I went to bed but this morning I woke up and the room was spinning, like vertigo. Not like I lightheaded feeling but like everything was moving and I was walking like I was drunk! Had to hold on to things. Went back for a lie down at 10am and the same thing again as soon as I laid down! I got up as I couldn't close my eyes without feeling like I was moving and spinning.

It's settlednow but I don't know if it had anything to do with the sedation I had or the extra strong painkiller. Has anyone else had this?? X

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you had a bad reaction to the sedation. If it doesn't clear up soon call your doctor.

• Posted

I was ok until this morning though? Thought it would have started straight away if I had a reaction. It's started my anxiety up as it's not a nice feeling

• Posted

Yea, but not really. I have had bad anxiety attacks for several days after the sedation. Not sure why, but when I told my doctor they used a different medication the next time. Look up the side effects of the drugs they use and I think you would be supprised. Some of the medical staff refused to be sedated by the date rape drug they use, because of it's bad side effects. It is a terrible medication. They used Propofol on me the second time and I had no problems. I can't remember the name of the drug, but it is known as a date rape drug, because it parylizes you and causes one to lose your memory of what happened. I hate the stuff and will not let them use it on me ever again.

• Posted

They didn't say what they used. Just said sedation, although I think she said something about an opiat in the pain killer.

• Posted

It sounds like it could be your body's reactions to the sedative and other med. I'd call the hospital and ask to speak to the medical professionals who handle the colonoscopies. Good luck...

• Posted

Hi thank you for your replies. I rang the hospital who did procedure and they said it wasn't normal and wasn't associated with the procedure. I called GP and he said it sounded like vertigo or ear infection caused by a virus. Went to see doc tonight and he said left ear is pink inside so prob have labrynthitis! Gave me med to help with dizziness but the dizziness hasn't been as bad since about 12 today, it's settled to what it was but I'm still having bouts of slight short dizzy spells.

• Posted

I think what you are experiencing shows why hospitals insist you have someone with you for 24 hours after sedation.  I agree that you should call and find out if this is just a reaction or something else.  However your symptoms are also consistent with an ear fluid imbalance or infection like labyrinthitis, which I suffer from intermittently (hence recognising your description).  That would be rotten luck, but I hope you are fully over it now.

I posted this just before your post came through, so it seems I guessed right.  This is a funny condition - most times it just clears up after an hour or so - certainly within a couple of days.  I just sit still and try not to move my head.  When I lay down it feels like I am tipping over backwards and to one side - the side of the infected ear.  I suggest for the next couple of days you move your head very carefully, perhaps even with your eyes closed, and don't drive.  That has worked for me.

• Posted

Thank you so so much for your reply. So do u get labrynthitis? And does it clear up after a couple of days? X
    • Posted

Claire

I had lots of problems with vertigo in my 30tys, and took medication which helped.

I'm much older now, and haven't experienced vertigo- such as your describing--in over 30 years.

Praying that yours will be greatly helped by the medication, and that yours will also not return.

• Posted

Thank you. The doc prescribed betahistine (serc) just hope it doesn't happen again tomorrow! It was very severe and I had to hold on to things so I didn't fall over, when I laid down it made it worse...just felt like the room was spinning and I was moving x

• Posted

Hi Claire

Yes I had my 1st attack over 25 years ago.  One minute I was fine, the next I was flat on the floor.  I got taken home from work straight to the GP, and fell over again as I was called in.  First time I was diagnosed in the Waiting room.  Within a few hours it was all over, and I never had another attack until 16 years ago. 

This time I had the infection really badly, (one of the worse the doctor had seen), as I was getting attacks every couple of days.  One lasted over 24 hours and I was very sick and could only get around by crawling with my eyes shut.  I was signed off work for 2 weeks.  I couldn't take the prescribed drugs - they were actually anti-psychotics and I found the side effects worse then the dizziness. This gradually faded to episodes of decreasing dizziness lasting from an hour to eventually just a few minutes.  This lasted a few months with increasing time between spells.  Bit disconcerting but I just sat down until they passed.  It did not stop me working or living a normal life. 

There have been no attacks since, though I still get the occasional (maybe once a year) few dizzy minutes, mostly first thing in the morning as I get up.

As far as I know most people just have one attack and that's it.  I had a quick look at the Forum that was supposed to be for Labyrinthitis, but all the posts seemed to relate to other diseases of the ear, not specifically Labyrinthitis.  Other people I've spoken to who have had an attack had just the one, then the occasional mild episode of dizziness afterwards.  So like any virus it may take a bit of time to clear.  Sounds like you are already onto just the mild short dizzy spells.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Yes

I remember that feeling. Walking one direction and then your equilibrium was gone. Give the meds a couple of days & then call the Dr or a pharmacist to see what the pattern of this med is. Do not. Drive! We all react so differently, if it's not too late wherever U live... I'd call my pharmacy and ask to speak with 'the pharmacist.' Knowledge of medications is their specialization. He/she may set your mind at ease.

Hoping good things for you!

• Posted

Hi Claire

How are you feeling now? Has the dizziness cleared up?  Hope so.

• Posted

I think what you are experiencing shows why hospitals insist you have someone with you for 24 hours after sedation.  I agree that you should call and find out if this is just a reaction or something else.  However your symptoms are also consistent with an ear fluid imbalance or infection like labyrinthitis, which I suffer from intermittently (hence recognising your description).  That would be rotten luck, but I hope you are fully over it now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.