Vertigo & Driving Licence

Posted , 7 users are following.

I used to suffer from vertigo when I was younger but haven't seen a doctor or took tablets for it in over 4 nearly 5 year. Some one at my Previous employment driving busses has reported me to DVLA cause I said I used to suffer from vertigo so now they are investigating it. I work for a coach company now. Will they revoke my licence if I haven't suffered from it in 4 years? My livelihood so quite nervous. DVLA says in last 12 months but don't know. Hope someone can help

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Im pretty sure anything like this is as long as you've not had an attack or episode of anything for one year you are clear to drive so I don't think you have to worry about it.

• Posted

Thanks Julie. A few people have told me the exact same but just cause of it happening in past bit worried. As coach driving is my livelihood so it will affect me majorly
    • Posted

Andy,if, were,you I'd go,to Citizens Advice Bureau. They will more than likely know and can advise you. I'm more than sure the DVLA cant do anything as there are so many  conditions that cld be 'used' in the same way. As long as your sight isnt affected i cant see any problems.

• Posted

Hi Gillian, I'm not affected anymore by it haven't been for over 4 years the woman on phone basically said they only care about 12 months. Only reason they investigating is cause someone at old place of work reported me to DVLA cause I told them I used to suffer from it years ago

• Posted

Yes i think in this case you have no worries.  I have to say whoever reported you is no.1 very mean spirited, and 2) obviously a touch ignorant!!
    • Posted

Pretty much. Hopefully have nothing to worry about but obviously the worry is still there but all I can do is co operate and give DVLA all information they need to get this all cleared up
    • Posted

Yes just do whatever they ask. And in fact i know of people,who have vertigo now, but they dont have problems driving, it,doesnt affect everyone the same way as Vertio is actually a word,to,describe symptoms, it is not an actual condition. So,yr vertigo symptoms could have been due to BPPV, or Menieres, or any number of the [u]actual[/u] conditons.
  • Posted

How awful someone's done this

We all know we shouldn't drive when suffering from it but we know our own bodies best

Some people hey 😡

• Posted

Same here.  I have vertigo and was reported anonymously.  I need to drive for my job as a community nurse.  I gave them permission to contact my consultant who was treating me for silent migraines which were causing my dizziness which was improving and after a few months of being investigated they closed the enquiry.  People can be fined for not disclosing they have a problem which might affect their driving.  Hope it all works out well for you. If you haven't suffered in the past 4 years it would be highly unlikely the would stop your licence.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Am glad you got sorted and yeah I'm ringing doctors tomorrow so I know when I last went in about it but I know it was over a year ago. Just worrying to sit and wait on outcome especially when it's your livelihood it's affecting

• Posted

I know.  It was worrying at the time and it did involve a lot of answering questions from DVLA but eventually it all got sorted and I think you will have even less problems than I had as I was still being treated at the time and DVLA still found in my favour because my symptoms were under control with medication.  You have been clear for 4 years so you should have no problem whatsoever.  Just answer all their questions and there should be no problem.  They have so many investigations going on at any one time they are a bit inundated which mostly causes the delay.
    • Posted

Yeah. I sent off the form today and contacted my doctor for a date I was last there to do with my vertigo and last time I went in about it was Feb 2014. So over 3 years
    • Posted

No problem,  try not to worry.  I was still undergoing treatment when I was being investigated.  I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.  Let me know once you are sorted.  Best wishes.

• Posted

The law is for seizures that you have to be seizure free for 6 months so I am certain dizziness would be less and at least not more than. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.