Vertigo for 10 yrs. anyone have vestibular neurectomy?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I started my vertigo in 2007, it is now 2017 and am still dealing with it! Off work for 2 weeks now because the imbalance is so great. 2 ER visits an numerous specialty mds neurotology, neurologist, otologist, audiologist, GP.

Multiple medications. The only ones that really help anymore is the Valium. I have been on every medication you can think of and none of them work. I am going to a dr for Botox injections soon to see if it helps and seeing about a vestibular neurectomy.

Tonya

0 Reply

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Have you received a diagnosis?

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

DX: in charts - Vestibular neuritis, occipital neuralgia, chronic vertigo, migraine with aura, sweat test showed post ganglionic nerve dysfunction

Ruled out :POTS

Negative EMG, caloric testing, and audiology -

Chari malformation ,BPV, MS, mineires

Failed: Most antidepressants, BP med, diuretic d/t low BP

now on Celebrex, lamictal, tizandine, zofran and Valium.

• Posted

Is your vertigo continuous, or does it occur in episodes (days to weeks at a time)?  Are they triggered by something, or are they spontaneous?  Do you also have seperate episodes of migraine?

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

The extreme debilitating vertigo is a couple times a month but the residual dizzy, imbalance, nausea is continually- never goes away. I do have days when it is less. We have yet to figure out triggers for any of it. We have had plenty of time to try for sure.

The migraines are at the same time and also continuous. Lessening at times but the headache is always there. As well as neck, back pain & Chronic fatigue.

They had me on Vicodin 1 tab 5/325 for years and it helped with the headaches and fatigue but then they decided to try other things than narcotics 2 years ago and it has gone back to the same things.

It all started in 8/2007 when I got a sinus infection that never went away. In 5/2008 I made them do a culture of what was coming out and they found it to be impetigo. Which was very unexpected!! Since then it has been dr and meds and vestibular rehab with no response. I did find if I go to a beauty place and have Botox in my forehead me eyes don't feel as if they are going to pop out of my skull so that gives a little relief.

I have had occipital nerve injections, cervical spine injections and shoulder injections. They don't work. If anything the cervical spine injections made it worse!

I have become unable to work which is very hard for me. I am an RN at a local hospital and really miss my patients!

• Posted

Hi did you try the epley maneuver? There's also a somersault maneuver you could try. It will line up the crystals in your inner ear. Try googling it and see what u think. Hope u feel better. 😊

• Posted

Thank you Angel, I don't have BPV so it doesn't work for me. Just makes the spins worse

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.