Vertigo from Menieres disease

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had Meniere's for several years but it would mostly involve an attack and nausea (after ear fullness and rushing sound in ear) that would last about 2-4 hrs then go away for months. This past year, possibly exacerbated by the shock of having to put two of my horses down with twisted guts, I am now having frequent bouts of dizzy spells lasting several seconds without warning sometimes accompanied by nausea that lasts 1-2 hrs or walking like a drunken sailor and also nausea. When it first started, my ENT doctor recommended prednisone which rose my blood pressure so much I had to stop taking it. Then he tried valium which helped after an attack but not in preventing an attack and I was very leary of becoming addicted to it so reluctant to take it. In November, I still had about 50%+ hearing and was sent to an otologist who ran numerous tests to confirm the diagnosis. He then gave me a 10mg shot of dexamethasone which, in spite of causing an earache seemed to alleviate the symptoms including the fullness. I felt better than I had in months. In January I got the flu and was very sick for 2 weeks with bronchitis. After that, the dizzy spells and ear fullness began again with nearly a total loss of hearing. I went the the ENT and got a 4 mg dexamethasone shot after which I had multiple dizzy spells/nauseo. I went back to the otologist and he gave me another 10 mg shot. The next day I got a dizzy spell that caused me to fall and then walk like a drunken sailor. Nausea lasted for a few hours. He had mentioned a shunt as a treatment. I have since had several more dizzy spells. Taking meclizine seemed to help some but they are not stopping completely (I had a short spell while buying a ticket to a movie yesterday) I'm suffering from fatigue and depression because I'm scared to go anywhere for fear of another spell. I have a 1 hr commute each way for work and fear a spell (I've experienced them before while driving but fortunately was able to get safely off the road until it passed). I wondered if anyone has had the shunt treatment and how effective it has been. I just know I cannot continue to go on like this and am feeling very defeated.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

high lillian,

im sorry to hear of your despair,

you havent metioned any of the conventional drugs for

veritgoe so i will give you a breath detail of what the doctors

try to do..1st they try to control the vertigoe by using tavel

sickness pills such as betahistine and serc 2nd they try to

improve the blood flow to the ear and act against water retension

with diuretics such as bendroflumethiazide plus i take an antihistamene

called citrizine plus buccal tablets to help with the feeling of nusea

.so the idea is about trying to control the symptoms

of menieres ..

Im sorry about your horses as im a horse lover the very stress and

anxiety can add to your attacks so talk to your doctor about the said drugs

and im shure they will help..good luck..stev

• Posted

Thank you Stephen. These sound like some good options to try before any drastic measures. 
  • Posted

I’m with Stephen on this. I am in Uk and betahistine seems to be used to control the vertigo and nausea and also Stemetil and other anti nausea tablets for the really bad attacks. Have to say it is scary and you do lose confidence going out in public but have to keep going.
    • Posted

Thanks Pat. These sound like some viable options to try before getting too drastic.
  • Posted

I don’t know if you have access to an acupuncturist who has experience with auricular acupuncture. I have been receiving auricular acupuncture  for over a year and have had good results. While I haven’t eliminated MD attacks altogether,  I have experienced much less tinnitus and have had nearly a year of no attacks. 

My acupuncturist is  using lasers now instead of needles so there is no pain🐯

• Posted

Hi Lillian. I am also in U.K. and I have recently been assessed by a neurotologist after my symptoms worsened. He raised my betahistine dosage to 24mg x 3 per day and since then I have been free of all symptoms and life has returned to normal thankfully. I asked him also if betahistine doesn’t work for everyone and he said it does for the majority but not all. But it’s worth trying isn’t it a it’s a very safe drug with no side effects. So sad about your horses. We lost one due to cancer last winter and the stress was severe which is very bad for Meniere’s sufferers. I hope you manage to find some relief from all this. Betahistine is certainly a lifesaver for me. 
    • Posted

Thank you Christine. So sorry to hear about your horse. I will ask my doctor about this and see if it is something I can try. I much rather do this than something drastic but am getting to the point if something drastic helps, I'll go for it but not until I've exhausted all other options.

• Posted

Lillian...so sorry for the loss of your horses. I've had the shunt surgery, and I think it has helped. I still get spells and have to walk with a hiking stick, and i think you are brave to still be making your commute. Remember.....every case of Meniere's is different. If the steroid shots are not working and it is what your ENT is suggesting, I'd say go for it. Anything to alleviate the suffering we all feel is worth a try in my opinion.

And, be careful of these forums......everyone is different and it is easy to get down by someone telling you what you are experiencing.

Best to you!

• Posted

IIThanks Kate and everyone. Knowing there might be other options to try gives me some hope. I forgot to mention I've been taking 50 mg of hydrochorizide along with two other blood pressure pills as I've suffered high blood pressure for some time, but will mention the betahistine to see if that might be an option before any other drastic options. Also acupuncture as an option to relieve the symptoms. Fear of spells has limited my activities and if these are successful, I can maybe feel safer getting out and hiking, riding, and other activities I love. Just knowing there are others who have been thru this (and who have suffered their own horse losses) gives me hope. When I sent the note yesterday I was feeling so desperate and despondent. After hearing from you, I'm feeling much more equipped to find something for which I can alleviate if not eliminate the symptoms and I can lead a more fulfilling life.

• Posted

High Lillian,

So glad your feeling more armed to deal with meniere's,

something like high blood pressure will effect meniere's so you have to

take steps to keep them both in check plus the nasty knock on effects

like anxiety stress and depression..There are a lot of vids on youtube

that can help you with these..

i loved and miss riding so if your riding make sure those with you no

about your meniere's problems also keep a mobile handy and were the

protective gear..(meniere's can come on out of the blue) as shure your

aware..best of luck with the meds...stev...

• Posted

Thanks Steve. I will check those videos out. I have an appointment with my ENT doctor tomorrow so will hopefully be able to discuss your and others information and see what other measure we can take. And thanks for the suggestion about keeping my mobile handy and wearing a helmut. I've not ever ridden with one but do own one and that makes a lot of sense.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.