Vertigo gone but still dizzy and inbalanced

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have hospitalized with high fever 15 days ago doctors thought I got a viral infection and the gave me antibiotics, they worked and went home for further recovery.5 days into my recovery I woke up in the middle of the night and I couldn't stand up from violent vertigo.that lasted 10-15 seconds.I found out that my vertigo was triggered only if I rolled right on my pillow and that every episode would leave me nauseous and dizzy.

I called my doctor and he prescribed tablets to ease the symptoms and i have an appointment soon.

Yesterday I turned to my triggering vertigo position and to my surprise the vertigo was gone, but not the dizziness and nausea.

I thought I was recovering but today I woke up more dizzy and imbalanced than ever no vertigo just constant dizziness and imbalance I took my vertigo med and i feel kind of better now, but scared and concerned, and my anxiety disorder makes everything worse.

Anyone out there who has similar experience and can give any advice or information?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Some anti biotics can effect the vestibular system. After bouts of vertigo, dizziness lingers for a while. Sometimes 3-6 months. Depends on the cause. Positional vertigo can be treated with therapy. May have a crystal floating around. Epely meneuver can correct this. Fluid in the inner ear causes them to move around.
    • Posted

i did the Epiely maneuver home alone and it was hard and triggered my symptoms of vertigo to a violent extent and I felt nauseous after that, my concern is that if i do that maneuver now i will not get any vertigo at all so was natural  to think that i was healing, till this morning that i woke up with imbalance and tense dizziness  and my happiness cut short sad 

thank you for the reply.

• Posted

It's very important to do the meneuver correctly. If done wrong, you can't make yourself much worse. Same with excersises. I never tell ppl to look them up on the internet and do them. You can make your problem way worse. The hallpike and epely can help determine which side is causing the problem. The excersizes can correct the disorder.

• Posted

the fact that i don't have vertigo spells anymore means that I didn't do further damage with the Epley maneuver right? I agree doing those exercises without knowing the r??t of your problem is irresponsible, to say the least.I just was so  despaired for some sense of normality,

• Posted

The crystals can float around for days. When they land in the wrong place, you get vertigo. The meneuvers move them threw the labrynth to a place they won't cause the disturbance. If you do the meneuvers wrong, they can get moved deeper in or even dislodge more crystals. This causes the false signals to be sent you your brain. Causing the vertigo and dizziness.

• Posted

Sounds very similar to my situation, other than rolling over onto my pillow; mine only comes on when I’m standing. May I ask what mess they gave you for vertigo, and does it help with your imbalance?

Thanks!

• Posted

I'm taking vertigo-vomex and helps a little bit with the nausea

Other than that i take xanax to manage the anxiety that this situation has brought me.

• Posted

*update* 

Hello again!

10 days later i'm doing better.

My balance is good the dizzy spells gone, I am a bit light headed tho (sometimes) especially when my anxiety is high, and all that situation have brought me a tone of it.

i'm still taking  Dimenhydrite 2 times a day and my doctor added some Betahistine as well.

im doing ok except the last 2 days that i suffer from nausea that i didn't have 5 days ago.

The only thing that has changed is that i'm very stressed lately and i have increased the number of cigarettes i smoke, could that be the cause? 

Or it is normal to have nausea without the dizziness?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.