Vertigo just started

Posted , 4 users are following.

My vertigo just started yesterday morning. I feel energetic and even better than usual, somewhat lightheaded, but once in a while I see the world spinning around. My sense of balance is a bit distorted, although I remain functional - can drive  and walk and do things. I really hope it is some sort of a temporary infection which will go away by itself... I don't have pain in the ears and my hearing is normal. Vertigo stays with me most of the time, it is especially strong when I lay down, this certainly feels like being very drunk.

In the past week I and other members of my family had a headache and I also had unusually strong diarrhea. I don't take any drugs, my diet and life style are healthy. The vertigo and light headedness feel like being drunk or being sick with a flu except without other symptoms.

I wonder if you know of any bug outbreak that could be causing vertigo.

I am located in USA, near Buffalo NY. The reason I write here - is obvious, this is a wonderful forum! I like very much the posts and the discussion - they help much!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I should add - I never had anything like this before - maybe for moments, or with feaver, but not for over 24 hours in a row with no other symptoms...
  • Posted

It,s,probably too soon to tell. Most of us on here have had it for quite a while.
  • Posted

I agree, it’s too early to say whether or not your vertigo is vestibular related. Especially since you have other family members dealing with the same thing it’s most likely a stomach bug or another viral infection. I’m from the USA as well- East coast too. It’s that wonderful time of year where the weather keeps going back and forth and there is just about any type of virus going around it seems. Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s one, may even be flu related?  For now, I’d just get plenty of rest and fluids. If your vertigo continues then maybe check into ear infections. They can cause dizziness depending on where the virus is located. Hope your already feeling better! 
    • Posted

Yes, thank you... It seems to be unrelated to years - vestibular mechanics - it is more like feeling drunk - the whole brain chemistry seems to be off - and it completely went away on day 3 as weather improved and came partly back on day 7 as weather worsened... 

I am less worried now...

• Posted

I mean ears, not years.
  • Posted

Maxshma 

I started having a dizzy spell whilst just sat a my desk, I rand NHS direct who told me to contact GP ASAP, but do not drive.

after a consultation I was introduce to the Eply manoeuvre which worked at once,and I was instructed how to self apply, not had a problem for over 3 yrs now until early this morning whilst in bed, the room was spinning I was feeling sick so I started the manoeuvre immediately and within 5 mins all was well.

you should be able to get the information on how to self perform, it's easy just lay on one side for 30 seconds then sit up for 30 seconds then lay on your other side for another 30 seconds, repeat this 3/4 times and all should be ok.

• Posted

hi Kes, great to hear the Eply,worked for you, infortuately for a lot,of the 

long term sufferers on here it has not helped.  Only wish it were that easy.  Eply can be helpful whe. Things are really bad, but no a long term solution sadly.

• Posted

Hi Gillian

maybe I was a little bit premature in thinking all was ok with the Eply manouver, I awoke this morning at 7am to go swimming but. Couldn't lift my head of the pillow without feeling as though I'd had a good night on thr alcohol,tried the E M  but this time it hasn't worked,just feeling groggy now and being carefully not to make it any worse.

• Posted

Hi,,yes that is what I found, it,s not always that helpful.  I have discovered Cocculus, an homeopathic remedy mainly for travel sickness, but as I started together that again, ie in buses mainly, I started using it before I travel. ,Also as I had a busy day ahead today, I took some and I do think,it helps a bit. ,Look,it up.
  • Posted

Update after 4 weeks. 

So the vertigo went away fully very soon, after about 5-6 days, just competely vanished and later started coming back briefly for just few moments in a time.

I figured out the main trigger for my vertigo - I poured gasoline from a canister to the car and breathed much of the vapor. This was a single time event and it explains much. Other factors which seems to play in are dropping blood pressure and worsening weather - I feel substantially more dizzy when the sky is in thick clouds and rain or snow starts.

That is all I know... I had several sessions of Reiki (it is an energy healing) during the first several days and they also were helping much. They sort of balance energies and this helps to heal the disbalance of balance.

• Posted

Hi, well that,a interesting that yours seems to come and go.m I,know weather pressure plays a part, Marlene knows all about that, I,things we all do, but they as far as I know, are just effects that aggravate the base problem (whatever that bosh. I had my 'big' appointment today at the Neuro otology dept T Neuro hospital in London.  very thorough in depth consult and testing so there a long time, none of which was wIting to be seen, so quite refreshing.  some of tests I,d had before some not. But I still came out with few inconsistencies , but differing from other regular ENT depts,that more or less write younger at that stage. They will go further.  another head and brain MRI to include vestibular system in the NY. ,The al.so seem not to gomthendrug route which is encouraging.  she screwed up her nose when I mentioned the one beginning with P, that I forget and everyone is given, so I guess they don,t reckon that much!!.  Have you been checked for bppv by the way.mI have and she repeated just I. Case but ruled it out.  that,s what the Eply thing  is mainly for.  

Reiki old be good yes, have had in past but did nothing for me, but not for this problem.

• Posted

Interesting that you say that.  I was just reading an article from a facebook page I follow called simbalance -that talked about weather and how it affects people with vertigo. Their case studies showed that hospitals on average handle more cases of vertigo related illnesses in the winter and early spring.  Their thought is that the lack of natural sunlight causes low levels of vitamin d. Have you had your levels checked recently? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.