Vertigo related to sinus problems.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I am new here and currently just researching my current condition. 7-8 weeks ago the vertigo started and has persisted to a greater or lesser extent ever since. GP diagnosed BPPV so tried Epley etc with no joy. I have had several sinus operations over the years and was wondering if anyone has experience with their vertigo being related to sinus problems/ infections? Hopefully I can rule out or add to the list! I work on construction sites that are potentially dangerous with this condition so would love to sort it out. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes I have bppv and also have sinus issues. It does seem to make it worse when I'm having problems with allergies. Even when I'm not having bppv symptoms it will feel like I am with my sinuses are impacted. I take Nasonex spray and Zyrtec every day.

• Posted

Thanks Jackie. Will have a look at those. Good luck.
    • Posted

Just make sure you follow the timing of each movement in the maneuver exactly. And sleep sitting up for 48 hours and don't bend over. I have to usually do it 4 times in a row but I spaced them a half hour apart.

• Posted

Both a problem to me ,also I have the dreaded tinnitus . Spray paint hats done my sinuses the best is from my GP it's called Alamys ,ask your GP if you can try that ,it's not stopped my balance ,but it's really good spray for the sinuses . I've also got allergies Eczema scalp and ears back and insides . Got a shampoo and a cream for that again good results . Nightmare it all is . 

• Posted

Think Marlene may mean Avamys nasal spray, only thing that works for me now too. GP will need to prescribe as I think it is a steroid spray and reduces nasal inflammation within a day or two. When I have a cold it goes into my sinus, ears and I wake up unable to breathe.
  • Posted

Mine used to kick in hard Everytime I got a sinus infection(sinusitis) . I used to panic if I felt it coming on cause I knew I would get vertigo from it.
    • Posted

Thanks Bill. Seams that the sinus infection can cause vertigo. Hopefully get rid of the infection and get rid of the vertigo! 

Good luck. 

• Posted

Sinus problems, due to pressure changes, can transmit to the inner ear and cause vertigo.  It is possible.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist,

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.