Very achey and tired after intial physio appointment. Is this normal?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

I have been having upper arm, shoulder and neck problems for 4 months now. I have recently paid to go to see a chiropractor because my doctors prescribed me naproxen which made me very ill so now I’m dealing with both. Anyway yesterday I had my first appointment and the lady obviously had to really poke and prod me around my upper spine, right shoulder and sides. She believes that I have a problem with my rotator cuff muscle which my doctor also believes as well. Anyway, today I have been feeling super achey all over really. Legs are ok, no headache or other symptoms just feel I’m quite abit of pain. As I said before I am now dealing with a inflamed stomach lining after being prescribed pain meds so am trying to eliminate certain foods from my diet and am Being super strict. So what I’m asking is could I be feeling achey and weak because of my diet change or is it likely that I am just feeling the after pain of physio. It’s becoming very frustrating because it’s one step forward and one step back and the pain is sometimes quite over whelming and I can’t take much for it because I don’t react well to strong medication. Kinda to scared to go to my next physio. But I will obviously. Any advice greatly appreciated. 

Thank you. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Just because your doctor prescribes something doesn't mean you have to take it.  I stopped taking my prescribed narcotics a day after surgery and dealt with the excruciating pain because for one, I don't like drugs.  Two, It messes with my appetite and causes me to lose weight (I'm smack dab in the middle of my healthy BMI range).  Three, I could proceed through prescribed PT with proper form and ROM despite the accompanying pain from surgery.  Four, I was more alert to damage/additional pain that might be caused by my PT; narcotics would have impaired that sense.

But, you could consult with your doctor and ask for a different medication, maybe something more mild either with a different drug or adjust your dosage.  Or something that has more of a local effect than a global one.

I can't tell you what that achy feeling you are experiencing is.  I'm not sure if that's a side effect from your medication or from the treatment you are getting from that Chiropractor.  I don't like chiropractors either when it comes to orthopedic issues.  They're notorious for treating symptoms and not the cause of musculoskeletal problems.  But that's just my opinion.  Things to consult with your doctor (licensed physician) about.  You can try researching for yourself as well outside of this site if no other better information comes along.

• Posted

If you do make any changes yourself, be sure to let your doctor know about it.  They may be slightly annoyed but that information can be helpful when assessing your symptoms and any future treatments they may prescribe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.