Very anxious about treatment

Posted , 9 users are following.

During scans for my lower left side pain, possibly diverticular disease, it was found that I had a spinal fracture and a hemaginoma. I had no back pain and no idea when the spinal fracture occurred. As a result of this I had a bone density scan and have been diagnosed with osteopenia and in one area, verging on osteoporosis. I have been prescribed Alendronic Acid, and, reading about it, I am terrified! I am reluctant to refuse to take it as I might then break some bones, but the possible side effects, particularly the effects on the jaws, dizziness that some people report and esophagal damage are throwing me into a whirlwind of uncertainty. I had bad heartburn and esophagal spasms last year which resolved by themselves but would not like a repeat of that! 

I know now that many people have no serious side effects at all and would love to hear from them! I have also been prescribed calcium with Vit D supplements. 

Although  I have had my appointment with the Fracture Clinic , I have been given an appointment with the spine clinic this week and hope I get an opportunity to discuss my fears. I will also book an appointment for a dental check up and see what my dentist feels about this medication. 

If if there is someone who can encourage me, I would love to hear from them! 

0 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Look through some of the posts on here over the past year or so as many many people share your worries about AA. Research has proven that nutrition, supplements and appropriate exercise can improve bone density. Some doctors don't seem to know that. Make sure you get enough vitamin D and also add Vitamin K2. Weight-bearing exercise like walking is also essential.

• Posted

I know! Those posts are what is worrying me! I am going to look into Vit K2. I walk a lot so was surprised I had these problems, 
    • Posted

It could mean you need more micronutrients to make sure calcium can get into the bones. And if you are small framed there's no way your bone density will match that of the Western standard, based on a larger body type.

• Posted

Eat your prunes....☺
  • Posted

Actually I think your oesophageal problems might mean AA is contraindicated. Maybe someone else will be able to comment on that.
    • Posted

That’s what I thought too!

I would say I am medium framed. 5 foot five and 134 pounds at the moment. 

I really have have to make a decision but it is so hard knowing I have a fracture. I hope I will get a chance to discuss it at my spine clinic appointment on Wednesday. 

So, prunes and Imodium?! 

• Posted

I know nothing about imodium but apparently studies have proven ingesting a few prunes everyday does help improve bones. They contain boron, but so do other foods, but maybe there's something else in boron as well.

• Posted

Something else in prunes, oh for an edit button.

• Posted

Like you I was a bit worried when first prescribed AA and had read all the scare stories but my doctor reassured me these were rare so I went ahead. For the first 3 weeks when I took the pill on a saturday morning I had tooth ache, in all my teeth. It wasn't that bad really just an achy feeling at the root of all my teeth which lasted for a couple of days. After the first 3 I seemed to get used to them and after 6 months on them I haven't any other problems at all. When you take them you have to drink a whole glass of water to make sure they go all the way down and then consume nothing else for 1/2 hour. My doctor said the oesophagal problems were because 'old ladies were taking them then going back to bed for 30 mins' and they recommend staying or sitting upright for the 30 mins. I think the most worrying thing is that they are called '. . acid' which is off putting.

So, anyway, I have had no 'real' problems with them and whilst I generally dislike taking any pills at all, if they help with the bone thinning then I suppose you have to look at the bigger picture?

My problems are as a result of Coeliac disease and I'm hoping that all my bloods are back to normal next month so I can, perhaps, stop taking AA.

Good luck and good health.

• Posted

Thank you, Philip! That is encouraging! I certainly followed instructions and sat very upright for  three quarters of an hour having taken the tablet with a large glass of water. 
    • Posted

Ah, so you are actually already taking AA? In that case, first I hope your doctor made sure your calcium and D levels were optimum first. Secondly, it's likely the most benefit and lowest risk of serious side effects is in the first two or three years, so you may find that's all you'll need, especially if simultaneously you are doing as much of the so called natural stuff as well. Do let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Just started today but feeling uncertain. I will see how it goes and certainly will add more natural stuff as well as my supplements. My calcium levels are OK. Depending on how I tolerate AA will determine if I go the course. Thanks for all your help! 
    • Posted

‘Old ladies were going back to bed’ Hope your doctor did research to make that finding. My sister had issues and she was careful to stay upright. I have swallowing problems so decided not to start AA.
    • Posted

I don't know Kathleen but I'm old enough to take everything people say (even doctors) with a pinch of salt.

• Posted

I'm very encouraged by your experience Philip it's good to hear some positive success stories regarding taking AA, thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.