Very anxious due to rash

Posted , 5 users are following.

At the start of January i went to GP with a flat red rash on the inside of lower leg. Told me it was cellulitis and gave me antibiotics. Rash got worse and spread on to chest. Saw another doctor who said it was an allergy. Gave me antihistamines. Few day later went back as lower legs had swollen and doctor sent me to A&E. Had blood test and told to go back for result in 10 days. Went back Friday and after long wait results hadn't come back. Saw a different doctor who said it looked like vaculitis. Legs still pink and slightly purple and now on inner arms and chest. Should get blood result on Monday but my anxiety is through the roof. Any ideas if anyone has had these symptoms. Would be pleased to hear from you. Jill

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jill,

It's scary when the experts don't know what's wrong with you, isn't it?  The amount of time and energy we spend in appointments, only to find out there's another test or another person to see.  

What were they testing for in your blood test?

I have urticarial/hypersensitivity vasculitis, which was diagnosed by skin biopsy.  It could be what you have, but it could be so many other things too!  I guess you should get a referral to a dermatologist, who will know much more.

I understand how anxious you must feel, but please be assured that there are many drug treatments available for all these things and hopefully you will get the proper help, a proper diagnosis and proper treatment soon.

In the meantime, perhaps ask your GP for steroid treatment as a short term measure to ease symptoms.

Best of luck,

Clare.

• Posted

Hi Clare so kind of you to reply. The first doctor i saw at A&E said i may have to see a dermatologist, rheumatologist or my immune system may have gone into overdrive and fighting something that isn't there. Had a blood test 10 days ago but unfortunately it hadn't come back. It was a different doctor i saw on Friday who sent another blood test away looking for vaculitis. When i said the rash first appeared 3 days after taking amoxacillin he said its gone on too long for that. (6 weeks). He said he will phone me on Monday with result. Hopefully will find something out then. Thanks again. Jill

• Posted

Fingers crossed you get an answer on monday.  Sounds like it's definitely time to see either a dermatologist or an immunologist.  I'm not sure if all types of vasculitis can be defined with a blood test??  Let us know what happens x

• Posted

Thanks Clare i will let you know. I'm not usually nervous about things but I'm a nervous wreck at the moment. If they haven't phoned by midday i will phone them. Will definitely let you know.. Jill

• Posted

Hi Clare just phoned for blood test result. Still not back. Try tomorrow! ! Anxiety. I mentioned prednisoline and he said no no! Ask GP for some cream. Now waiting for GP to phone. Will try for result tomorrow. Will let you know. Jill

• Posted

Hi Clare another long day at hospital as rash now spread on to my feet. Well at last blood results came through and nothing positive showed up. Doctor there is going to refer me to a dermatoligist Looks like you are right. Couple of questions. Where to they take skin graft from and how long for the result? My G P won't give me anything until result. Hope you don't mind the questions but i just want to get rid of this rash asap. Now on my face. I look as though I've been in the sun all day. Jill

• Posted

Oh Jill, this is not fair, is it?   And scary too.  Dermatologist is the best place to start, or immunologist, but they start with the bleedin obvious.  When I had my skin biopsy done it was an afternoon appointment with a local anaesthetic, and she took a punch (a few millimetres) from my arm and from my stomach, where there were areas of inflammation.  It was all very quick (until I realized she'd used a local with adrenaline, which makes me go well funny, so had to lie down for an hour) but without that really straightforward.  Results get sent off to the lab for them to analyse.  

• Posted

Results take a week or so, but suppose that depends on where you live.

I'm annoyed on your behalf that GP won't give you a short dose of steroids, as I bet anything it would help and will probably be one of the first things a dermatologist tries you on.   It's no long term cure but it definitely gives some respite.

• Posted

Thanks Clare. So far I've been told I've got cellulitis vasculitis and the latest a nurse at hospital said oh you've got lupus!! My husband has had a transplant and one of the things he has to take is prednisolone. I'm tempted to take some but will hang in. He thinks like you my GP should have given me something but i think hes being cautious. Thanks for the info you've helped a lot. Will let you know. Jill

• Posted

Hi Clare spent all morning at a different hospital to see a dermatologist. After long wait and seeing a junior doctor saw consultant who admitted didn't know what i'd got (rash is on different parts of body) ordered more blood tests. One was straight forward the other one had to be kept in dark and the other kept warm! I am no further forward and got to wait another 2 weeks. She said if they come back normal i can join a group "for people like me" to talk about it. Amazing!! Beginning to give up. In the event of a miracle happening and they find out what's wrong i will let you know. She asked junior doc to check my medication i take to see if they cause a rash. Came back and she said no. Checked myself and some do. Hope you're ok. Jill

• Posted

Hey Jill, been wondering how you are and how your 'support group' is going?  It's unbelievable that they do this.  How are your symptoms? x

• Posted

My brother had similar symptoms, rash and he lost feeling in his feet. He was in Mexico biking in remote area and they think a bug bit him and transferred a bacteria of some sort. DR tested for everything, thought Lymes disease, Lupus and many other possibilities. He went to Mayo Clinic, finally and was dx with MPA Vasculitis. I'm not saying that's what you have, but doctors have a hard time dx diseases, many have similar symptoms. He was on steroids and a type of chemo for a month. He was very lucky it did not affect his organs. He goes back to Mayo every 3 months or so. I hope the very best for you. They can manage vasculitis. MPA is very rare. 

• Posted

Thanks Mari for your reply. After 3 long weeks i finally got result of blood tests. All came back negative. Well they have now referred me to some meeting with people with undiagnosed rashes on 13 April. Apparently it's with consultants and patients to discuss and throw around ideas in how to deal with it. It's quite a way from where i live but although i don't mind traveling i don't see the point in talking about it. It's my main topic of conversation now especially now it's on my face. I've found a private consultant dermatologist who specializes in strange rashes so i am seriously thinking of seeing him. If he can't help i don't know who can. Anyway thanks again. Do hope your brother continues to get better. Jill

• Posted

Try not to be anxious and deal with that, in time things will get better if you stay in contact with your doctor. Its important to overcome the anxiety because anxiety can make things worse.

• Posted

Thanks for that but it was 3 years ago now. I eventually saw someone privately (dermatologist) and he knew immediately what was the cause..It was a.blood pressure medication called Felopidine. Once I stopped taking it the rash eventually disappeared. It seems it just didn't suit me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.