Very bad Dermatitis on fingers

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I've suffered from Dermatitis for 5-6 years (Self diagnosed as my doctors surgery have not confirmed what the issue is).

I have been prescribed several steroid creams and oitments previously however none of these work and seem to cause me more issues such as the skin on my fingers thinning out...

It would appear that there is a cycle to my issue, normally I start to get fluid-filled blisters on my fingers. These then dry out and cause the skin to crack and go very, very thick. I can barely bend my fingers due to the issue with the skin.

I am on the waiting list for the dermatologist but any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Out of curiousity how big are the blisters?
  • Posted

Hi, I am allergic to dishwashing soap and before I found that out I developed a contact dermatitis on my hands. My skin became scaly and would crack open with sores forming, worst around the knuckles. It did not itch but rather hurt and burn.

In addition to avoiding contact to the allergen I used a cream called Calmurid. It contains urea and lactic acid and softens the scaly skin and helps it to heal. This cream has helped me a lot, I could hardly bend my fingers because of the cracks around my knuckles.

Note that the same company manufacture Calmurid HC a similar cream that also contains some corticosteroid. You might want to avoid this one since you did not react well to steroids.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.