Very bad upper right stomach pain, all tests normal, but still in great pain!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a 38 year old Male, and in pretty good health. For the last week I have been to urgent care, er (twice) and my primary care doc once. All think it is the gallbladder, but cannot find evidence to remove it. I thought I was feeling better for 4 hours yesterday, then I ate a meal and my stomach became severely inflamed on the right side and turned hard as a rock. I am supposed to have a hida scan within the next couple weeks, but fear that will come back normal and I will have to live in pain. Anyone else dealing with this issue or have knowledge on the subject? Thanks for taking the time.

Best,

Tim

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If it is your gallbladder giving you this pain, then I would recommend you are very careful with your diet.  Remove EVERYTHING containing fat and see if this makes a different (it should do).   If, when you go back to eating your normal diet (which probably contains fats of some kind or another), and you suffer with the pains I think it would be a fairly accurate pointer to gallstones or inflamed gallbladder.  

I've been through this myself so I do know how leaving off the fat does make a difference.

Stay away from the fizzy drinks and replace with water.

Sending you very best wishes for a speedy resolution.

• Posted

Thank you very much for your insight. They said they have ruled out gallstones, but they still have not ruled out that it is the gallbladder.

I truly appreciate your response.

Will keep this board posted, as I am hoping to have a hida scan within the next week.

All the best.

• Posted

Hi Timmy

Sorry to hear that you have been experiencing this, I had a lot of gastric issues over the last three years and ended up having my gallbladder removed three weeks ago, my gb showed no signs of stones which seems to be the main reason for removal but my gb had only 30% function, after going back and forth to various consultants the general opinion was that it is the removal of an organ and that I should be under no illusion that it was a 'quick fix' - in fact some people have lifelong issues after gb removal.

I hope this gives you an insight into what can seem an obvious problem can be more complex, sometimes thing aren't explainable and simple changes in diet and lifestyle can help enormously. Good luck with everything and do keep us informed as to how things go.

• Posted

Hi Joanna,

As a human, I am always looking for a quick fix. Unfortunately, I have come to realize that this is our of my hands. I am going to work hard to eat better foods, but it seems no matter what I eat my stomach becomes enflamed and even pains in my lower mid back. Very odd.

I hope you are feeling well and I will keep the board updated after I get the hida scan within the next week or so.

Thanks again, and take good care.

Regards,

Tim

• Posted

Hi TIm, 

Have  you had an ultrasound so they can really see the gallbladder?  This looks at the wall of it to see if its thicker, any sludge  or stones?  A HIDA scan would be good too.  Is it a large fatty meal when you get pain?  Any pain radiating to your right shoulder blade/back?  Is the pain up  under your right rib cage?  I've spoken to a lot of doctors about this over 2 years so very familiar with it!!  Even without stones it can be not working properly.  The important part is to make absolutely sure as having your gallbladder out & then still sick would be awful!?  I don't have the pain attacks until just the last few months but there not really bad.  I have terrible neasea & bloating so can't eat larger meals.  Lost 45 pounds which was ridiculous.  They said it was Gastropresis but I'm skeptical.  I have a large gallstone & can't gain weight back (only managed 11 pounds back).  I'm sick once a week or two.  I stopped the low fat diet as I was loosing too much & this brought some pain?!  Also rule out lactose intolerance & gluten.  If you try each one out of your diet for a month you would know quickly.   My stomach scope twice took a biopsy for siliac disease & H phylori as many get H phylori which makes you quite  sick.  A stomach scope with biopsy is a good idea.  Good luck with the journey!!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.