Very Confused...

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 58 and have had PVCs since my 20's.  I had some diagnosed episodes of Afib 3 years ago during a particularly stressful time. I have  was put on 100 mg dose of Flecinaide per 24 hoiurs and that immediately stopped the episodes (and lessened my PVCs too!)  A year and a half later my doctor allowed me to stop the drug. Still no more episodes for for a year and a half.  Yay! I'm cured!  Must've been the stress. Until a couple of weeks ago as I was leaving for a restful 2 week holiday and boom! There it is again!.   After the first one I decided to try the flecainide 100 mg dose as before and it did nothing.  (Luckily, I brought my most recent supply of Flec on holiday just in case) Upped it to 200 mg after 4 days and still had a close to 2 hour episode.  All episodes so far have taken place beteween 8 and 11 pm.   I am confused as to why this would return after being episode and medication free for 18 months and why isn't the Flecinaide working like it did 3 years ago at double the dose?  The only similarity to 3 years ago is that the last 3 months were a little stressful.  Of course I will be contacting my doctor about this now that I am home but was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about this in the meantime

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Between 8 and 11 after dinner. Do you have any digestive problems? Many find an association. Others find it after drinking wine.
    • Posted

Thanks derek76.  No, none that I know of.  My diet hasn't changed since being episode free. 
    • Posted

My AF is perhaps rather odd. Initially it started after heart valve surgery that is a known risk. After a cardioversion I was was OK and drug free for fifteen months before having a colonoscopy. The probe stimulated my vagus nerve and put me back into AF. 

Another cardioversion and I was OK for ten months before having a DRE (digital rectal examination) for my prostate that again stimulated my vagus nerve putting me back in AF.

• Posted

I'm also on flecinaide , I'm 52 and have been on flecinaide for around 15yrs. Initially working fine just having the odd episode . Then the flecainaide stopped working and my doctor added a beta blocker ( bisoprolol ) to the flecinaide . Since then I've been better than ever.

On my Af journey I've realised I do need the meds but I've also discovered my diet intake of certain foods can trigger my Af .

Over indulging can trigger Af , as many of us do you may have done this while on your holiday . Next time you have episodes just take note of your diet and you may pin point certain AF triggers in your diet.

Everyone's different . Mine are too much alcohol, caffeine. Nicotine , dehydration , wheat is a major for me so I stick to a gluten free diet , no wheat based beers just have cider , too much salt is another . As I've said adding the beta blocker to the flecinaide has made a major difference .

• Posted

Hi Andrew.

I was on flecainide for a while,, but it eventually  didn't work for me either

• Posted

Hi Andrew, my AF began with stress three years ago. I have had three ablations. Si,nice my third ablation I have to do everything I can to help myself. I have found a Facebook site that has given me lots of information about food supplements and diet and also information from cardiologists on manoeuvres that may stop an episode (it did). I am not able to put that info on here as it breaks the rules. I feel so much better in myself and more in control. Arming myself with good information seems to help and maybe can come off my meds. Good luck
  • Posted

The Flecinaide's efficacy may have reduced because they were old tablets>?  Did you check the use by date on them?  Some drugs have a use by date mostly because they change chemically with time.

Also-I hate to say it-you are a little older too-your heart is aging along with the rest of you. :-)

• Posted

That's a good point.  They were issued 18 months ago but I have read they have shelf life of 3 years but who knows how old they were when I received them

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.