Very confused - someone please advise?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I posted a request for advice before but had no replies so thought I would give it another go. There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice re. orlistat. I was told by my doc to take food with no more than 3% (saturated) fat per 100g. So a low fat diet. But on here and on the 'alli' website it seems to say that we need to have a reasonable fat intake in the first place to lose weight. I tried calling the xenical phone line but they have stopped giving information over the phone. Can someone please confirm the correctway to go about this? Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, have been on the tabs 3 weeks. Asked nurse today about amount of fat. Her reply was you need at least 25g of fat per day, I was on 15g per day. You need the fat to keep your hair, skin and nails from drying out too much. It is not the saturated fat to take into acoount but the total amount of fat. Fat has to be below 5g per 100g to be low fat and the sugar has to be below 8g per 100g to be low sugar. Hope that makes sense. I found it difficult to have more than 15g per day but advised to eat a few nuts to up the level. Also not to go mad and lose too much weight at once. Good luck. Mandy
  • Posted

BillyBear.....we are all confused to a certain degree as we are supposed to have information from the drug company but as of 2 months ago mine hasn't arrived....honestly the 'correct' advice has yet to be given to me....those of us posting here have all got our own theories and try to help each other but as yet I don't know what is 'correct'. You will find through experience what is right for you and your weight loss will tell you which level of fat is best for you to lose weight. Sorry can't help you further.
  • Posted

Well I am now certainly going by what the nurse said today. Her husband is in the same boat as us which is comforting.
  • Posted

You need 20g of fat for fat soluble vitamins to be absorbed by the body. Because the orlistat gets rid of 1/3 you need to have 30g fat per day for your body to get 20g.

That works out 10g per meal, but you can go up to 15g per meal as long as you don't go over the 30g a day.

• Posted

Thanks to you all for the advice. It does seem really confusing to me still, but I guess the proof is in the weight loss!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.