Very dark brown stools 8 days after Cholecystectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

It's been 8 days since I've had my gallbladder removed and I never experienced a diarrhea. I eat whatever I want from the day following the operation. Quality and kind of food exactly as before. (Not exactly what I read online :-) 

Worth nothing, before the operation my stool was mostly light-colored and it made me worry a bit.  B12 and Vitamin D were down and needed supplements despite the high consumption of dairy and meat.

So after the Operation I pass normal-sized stools but this time they are really brown, the darkest shade of it.

I had a 5mm polyp, no stones.

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

i think you are doing good. Brown color stools are very good. If you really worried about the stool color  then it should be black which is bleeding or light yellow ones where due to less bile. Did you had endoscopy and colonoscopy done ?  

what symptoms did you had earlier before Gallbladder removal ?

• Posted

I had very few symptoms, I could eat anything I wanted since I had no stones. It was just this polyp which i decided to have this operation because i head that the prognosis is very poor if it goes out of hand. 

So the symptoms were light-colored stools and fatigue. Maybe from the B12 and Vit-D3 deficiency ?

It's too soon to talk about fatigue now. I need to wait at least a month for the wounds to heal. Maybe the stool color will change too. Maybe diarrhea will accompany the stool sessions, who knows.

So far so good.

• Posted

Nice to see you are doing great and i believe you should be one of the good candidate with no issues after post op.I'm having gallbladder stones and planning for surgery early next year. I have gastritis too. My B12 was low , i'm taking b12 shot every month. i suffer with bloating/burping,dizziness and fatigue.

• Posted

I'm no doctor, just taking a WAG at it.  If you had a blockage in your GB the bile wasn't getting into your guts.  Now the GB and more specifically the blockage is gone and bile is now flowing.  Bile makes stool brown.  Just a guess tho.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.