Very disheartened

Posted , 3 users are following.

i was using clobetasol ointment twice a day for 2 weeks. i had hardly any symptoms! My Dr. advised me to reduce using it once a day after 2 weeks. I did. 4 days later the burning and soreness returned. I started to use it 2 times a day but it did not help this time. I am also inserting a hormone suppository every night. This is the worst flare up I ever had. The vulva is extremely red and sore. i am seeing my dermatologist in the morning. I am hoping she can prescribe something that will ease this soreness. i will see my GYN on Tuesday to see what she thinks. I am hoping it is a skin problem and not vulvodynia. Has anyone had a red, inflamed vulva? THANKS.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes Maryann, me, Im dealing with same issues, I stopped the clobestorol steroid it made me worse. I now just started hor mone cream , but also have a weird clitoris feeling like blocked. All this is insane.Last week we nt to Emergency, but no help there for me just gave me pain medicine for they said no infection

• Posted

i was using a steriod cream for vulvodynia and it helped. l stopped using it but then i had a flare up following a smear test. when i started using the cream again it made me worse. my dr told me that can happen - the cream can stop being effective and can even aggravate it. my vulva was swollen and red with vulvodynia.

• Posted

Thanks Suki. I will see what the dermatologist says today. This is the worst flare up I ever had. i did not use any coconut oil today since i want the Dr. to examine the vulva with nothing on it. i am also considering accupuncture. I cannot go on living with this horrible pain and burning. I honestly thought i was finished with the symptoms since felt so good for 3 weeks.

• Posted

i know what it is like. i had so many set backs. each time i felt almost pain free, something happened or i did something that made me worse again. there was the pap smear test, trying to use steroid cream again, trying lidocaine, starting up belly dance again. each time i just had to pick myself up and continue on with the treatments.

• Posted

I saw the dermatologist today. She said that the vulva is red and swollen! (I knew that!). She believes it is yeast. She prescribed Nystatin ointment. I always thought yeast infection would cause a discharge. There is no discharge, just burning and soreness on the vulva. I am inserting the hormone suppository vaginally at bedtime. i decided to use the NYSTATIN when I returned home and after one dose on the vulva, the soreness stopped and the burning has lessened quite a bit. I see my Gyn on Tuesday to see if she is in agreement with my detmatologist.

• Posted

did she take a swab to test for yeast? I have to admit i have had many yeast infections and they vary so much. Sometimes i have a thick creamy discharge, sometimes a runny milky discharge. Sometimes it itches, sometimes it burns. I have also had, like you sore red inflammation with no discharge - once i had it like that so bad that it spread down to the tops of my thighs. I have also had no discharge but redness with lots of small white spots on the vulva area, which grew and spread until they formed a thick white coating over my vulva which, when i wiped it off, left red raw skin underneath. All these were caused by candida.

• Posted

She did not do a swab test. Asked if i had a biopsy done. I told her I had one done in June and it showed thickening of skin and minimal inflammation. I will ask my GYN if a swab test can be done. I will post her answer next week. Thanks.

• Posted

Well thats daft. the only way she could be absolutely sure it is a yeast infection is to take a swab and do a test. A swab cant be taken once you have started medication - that confounds the results of the test.

• Posted

i agree. after using the NYSTATIN ointment twice yesterday, I woke up with an itchy rash all over my body! i took 2 BENADRYL and will continue to take it today. If the rash does not subside, I will go to an Urgent Care center tomorrow. These past 3+ years have been terrible. I hope the GYN can help me on Tuesday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.