Very Dizzy ! BP 178/97

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am feeling very dizzy. 

I gave up drinking last Sunday.

i eat healthy food but I am over-weight. 

I have started a fitness regime that is monitored and not excessive. 

My BP was 178/97 at 7pm

165/93 8pm

137/75 30 mins later

i lay down 

9.30pm 167/87....

i takem 10mg ramipril

2.5mg Bendroflumethiazide

should I go to sleep or go to A&E??

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alison,

Your dizziness is unlikely to be connected in any way to your BP. The highest reading you mention, of 178/97 though above normal, is nowhere near danger level. 137/75 is perfectly normal - I wish my BP was that low!

I can't tell you whether or not you should go to A&E, only that you certainly don't need to go because of your BP.

It depends on what other symptoms you have. When you say you feel dizzy, do you mean a bit lightheaded, or is everything spinning? If it's the latter, it's more likely to be an ear problem, and not urgent. I'm wondering whether you've taken a higher dose than usual of your medications. That could cause a feeling of lightheadedness.

You have nothing to worry about on BP grounds. (I'm a former nur se, btw.) Up to you to decide whether or not you need to visit A&E for other reasons.

• Posted

Alison, If it were me feeling "very dizzy" and it was out of character, then I would get checked out straight away at A&E.   I do have very high systolic readings most of the time but my diastolic only rose to your heights on one occasion and I became very dizzy.  I was advised by a GP to double the dose of the BP med that I was on at the time. Do get yourself checked but rather than risk driving you would be wise to call an ambulance - don't drive with that dizziness.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Alison,

Just wondering how it all panned out last night.

• Posted

It levelled off but it's been high periodically. I'm on the highest dose of Ramapril and the Benz...ide is for fluid retention to help lower BP. I'll book I. Wth GP this week as the dizzy spells are worrying and there may be some underlying cause. Either way. It needs sorting and Inthank you for your concern. X

• Posted

HI Alison! High blood pressure usually causes morning dizziness. On the other hand dizziness is one of the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal which is expected to last for a couple of months after stopping alcohol consumption.

Other symptoms include:  Memory impairment and nausea.

• Posted

Last visit to my doctor my bp was high .. so the doctor asked me if I was going to the emergency room.. NO says I all they do is give you a clonodine and make you sit for hours..besides clonodine is on the Beers report as DO NOT GIVE TO SENIORS..  So what does he do .. well he runs to the back of his office and comes back with a clonodine.. here one won't hurt you he says.  Me foolish takes it... After sitting in the waiting room for 20 minutes, I managed to stumble back to his room and my bp dropped very little.. (of course he ruled out white coat syndrome)  He released me that day.. with me driving home in that state of being high on a drug which I should not have been given in the first place..  Now I ask you.. does this make any sense?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.