Very dry, chapped lips that won't heal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can anyone help me with this? I have had a slight allergic reaction to hair dye shampoo recently on the cheek, chin and eyebrow area, which I have identified by reducing contact with the shampoo and my skin. However I believe it has also caused a reaction to my lips.

For almost two weeks now, my lips have been chapped, irritated and dry. I am applying lip balm every half hour and haven't seen any improvement aside from short term relief.

I read a suggestion online to try using Hydrocortisone on the lips each night during sleep, but I can't say this has helped either.

I'm running out of options

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I would increase your fluid intake and change your lip balm you may have an allergy to it.

• Posted

have you tried antihistamines and E45 lip balm? Also take a multi vitamin and mineral tablet every day. I get dermatitis and find when I forget my vitamins I get a flare up. omega 3 oil tablets are good too.

• Posted

my answer is being moderated at the moment because I mentioned a brand name that is advertised on this site. I recommended antihistamine tablets and a lip balm from the makers of a very famous cream which is the letter E and the number in between 40 and 50!

Also a multivitamin and mineral tablet every day and omega3 tablets.

• Posted

My allergist told me many years ago to never use any products from that particular brand as the number of chemicals therein is excessive. My advice would also be to change lip balm and increase your water intake.

• Posted

I've tried a natural lip gloss that has great reviews online. I suffer from dry lips and have reactions to a lot of other brands because of the ingredients. It doesn't have any chemicals and I read a review from a woman who was on anti biotics which dried out her lips said it fixed her lips in under two days. They're an aussie indie company called Halo is the New Black lip gloss. I hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.