Very dry eyes - advice would be appreciated.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I don't have Sjorgren's Syndrome, but do have very dry eyes which are causing me a lot of problems, so I hope it's OK fr me to post on here.

I've just been to the opticians who did a tear breakup test and one eye was 2 seconds and the other 3 seconds.  I believe the normal reading should be about 10 seconds?  I'm seeing my GP on Monday so just wondered if anyone could give me advice about things that have worked well for them.  I do have Carbomer drops which I have used for years, but they are just useless at the moment.  I have Rosacea and think that the dry eyes are connected to this.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cheetah,

I have dry eyes too, though in my case it is due to Sjogren's. When things got quite bad last year, I was advised to use the Polish brand of drops, Thealoz Duo. These contain trehalose and sodium hyaluronate.

Until then I was using the basic Tears Naturale, which contain dextran and hypromellose. However, they also contain a bacteriostatic product, which my optician said was irritating my eyes and making the problem worse. Thealoz Duo contains only the active ingredients, with no bacteriostat.

I don't know where you are in the world, but I know this product is available OTC in the UK and all over continental Europe. It's slightly more expensive than the basic products, but if you decide it suits you you can get it in triple packs, which comes cheaper.

Needless to say, I'm taking a copy of this post before hitting the reply button, as I'm not sure commercial brand names will be allowed through!

• Posted

OK, my post got through, but I'm sending it by personal message anyway, just in case it gets "disappeared" in the next couple of hours before you have a chance to read it! PMs via this site don't expose the email address of either party or carry viruses.

• Posted

Get a tear duck plugged every 6 months

It helped me .

• Posted

Is that really how often you have to get them? I got them a couple of months or so ago and he never said anything about how often I needed to have them redone or at least not that I recall. But maybe I need to call and ask because I certainly don't see him on a regular basis.

• Posted

Mine is resolving every six month, so I have to have a new one every six months 😀

• Posted

I have dry eyes caused by SS. I use hyloforte drops, which are thicker than cellivisc which I also use. Depending on how sore they are. Both available on prescription or over the counter in the U.K. For regular ongoing use we are advised to use preservative free drops.

I also use a warm eye mask called Eyebag. But any warmth applied to the eyelids will help the glands to lubricate the eyes. I am also photosensitive so carry over-glasses with me to pop on over my spectacles and cut down any glare.

• Posted

Thank you Estelle.  I've ordered an Eyebag, so will be trying that.  That was the optician's advice, too.  The optician has written a letter to the GP advising Lacrilube for the night and Systane for during the day, so, hopefully, he will be able to prescribe those for me.  However, I've made a note of Hyloforte.  Luckily, I recently got new glasses and chose to get photochromic ones, so they darken automatically and cut out glare, which is wonderful.

Thank you again for your help.

• Posted

Oh I really love those sunglasses that go over your regular glasses. Over the years I have had glasses that have the little sunglass that is magnetized to your regular glasses and I don't like those cuz I don't know what to do with the sunglass part when I don't need it. I've also had the glasses that change into sunglasses and they just don't change back when you're inside quick enough to suit me. So the go-over sunglasses are a win in my opinion

• Posted

I can't get on with lacrilube. Trouble with photochromatic, I believe, is that they only react to sunlight rather than, say fluorescent? Look up blepharitis as the advice for that covers all sorts. Hope you get to find your solution ; it is trial and error x

• Posted

Its very trial and error, and many of have to change our eye products over time. For me Systane Ultra has been the best product for a long time. I use it constantly, but still have occasional "bad" days where nothing helps except a nights sleep where things can get "reset". In Aust you could investigate autologous eye drops - your own blood is drawn, plasma drawn off, and eye drops made just for your own use. It works very well. It is expensive if you have to pay, but some ophthalmologists can source it for free through studies. Its worth asking about. Sunglasses are essential - i wear them in shopping centres also - many modern spaces now are extremely brightly lit.

• Posted

My dry eye problem occurs mainly at night.  I use Similasan, which uses natural ingredients.  Other eye drops I have used cause slight stinging or irritating sensations for me, but not this brand.  Another tip, after you place the eye drops in your eyes, make sure to move your eyes around so they are moisturized everywhere.  Someone gave me this tip a while ago and I thought it was helpful.
  • Posted

I had wonderful results taking 1100 mg of Omega-3. And I don't mean fish oil I specifically mean omega-3 and I don't know what the difference is but there is a difference somehow. Things changed for me when I started prednisone but I'm assuming you are not on prednisone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.