Very dry itchy back

Posted , 3 users are following.

i recently had an epidural for a total hip replacement. Since then my back has been incredibly dry and very itchy. I try not to scratch but it's driving me mad. I read that it can be to do with something the anaesthetist puts on. I wash it gently but that can bring on the awful itching again. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

This can be a side effect of epidural anaesthesia. Tell your doctor . He/she may be able to give you something like a steroid and/or antihistamine but it sometimes takes time to clear. 
    • Posted

Thanks Marina. I never had it with an epidural before. Hope I won't need one again.

• Posted

Hi Julia I had an absolutely terrible time with itchy back, I put it down to spending more time sitting, E45 itch cream was brilliant, its more or less instant and you can get it on prescription.

Plenty of moisturizer as well

• Posted

No your definitely not on your own, I now use in shower moisturiser as well, I also sometimes get itchy legs just to add to the Joy's, I blame the heat as well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.