Very dry red itchy eyelids

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been to my doctor over 5 times now with red, itchy, sore(ish) eyelids.

Doc doesn't seem to think its an infection.  I have tried every kind of cream I can think of recommended from doc and chemist but nothing seems to work - in fact most make it worse.

Really tired of this now - wonder if anyone had any ideas?

thanks

jeff

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Jeff

Try cleaning your eyelides with a rolled up 3" x 3" sterial gauze pad with the tip soaked with Ocusoft eye wash.  Gently rub eyelides for around 5 seconds with gauze pad.  I have burning eyes from excess bacteria and this instantly gets rid of burnings.  Eye drops would do nothing for my problem.

• Posted

would avoid any eye creams, drops until you have ben seen by an ophthalmologist and had a thorough eye examination. These creams and ee washes are often a further irritant.
    • Posted

An article in Tuesdays Daily Mail said that using baby shampoo or diluted bicarbonate of soda are not cures and do not help. 
    • Posted

Yes they are.

​I totally agree.

​Eyes are precious and thereforete cause of the red itchiness must be investigated and diagnosed. As stated previously ete wash, creams, drops csn often exacerbate the irritation. Best is to see an eye dr prefebly at an eye hospital where they have a walk in eye emergency department. I do not knowJeff 11 is based but  I advise googling the nearest eye hospital.

• Posted

See optimologist for Jed's for dry eye. Dry eye can cause red eyes and eyelid itching. Eye drops help and also a cold compress over eyes. 

If dry eye is left untreated cell damage can occur.

see your eye dr they can offer relief no reason to suffer. It can be miserable.

• Posted

I have been told to use a hot compress as it encourages the oils in the eyes to flow.
    • Posted

Whatever worksYes that's right that's good too! Are the tear ducts blocked? That can be something to look into. Mine had to be opened up as the oil can block them in some cases. 

Your reply reminded me of that with hot compresses. Cold helps the burning. 

I hope you see your see ur eye doc. 

• Posted

I was seeing him about other problem anyway. He gave me HYLO Tear.

Has not helped after two months. Real problem is a film over one eye. Had it before and it did not last for long but this time for about three months. Odd feeling like being short sighted in only one eye.

• Posted

https://patient.info/doctor/blepharitis-pro

Hello Jeff, have a look at this page first, then go to the patients' version, it is on a link at the top

It sounds like Posterior Blepharitis, which is the one that can include blocked Meibomian glands, this in turn can make your eyes dry.

In general, GPs don't know a lot about eyes & certainly mine tell me to see my Ophthalmologist but if you aren't already under an Ophthalmologist, try going to a High Street Optician,  they can examine your eyes & can refer you to the Hospital Eye Service if necessary.

Years ago, I was told to use the baby shampoo regime, which doesn't actually achieve anything.  I was then told to use a hot compress twice a day plus ocular lubricants.  At the beginning of the year, I was referred to Moorfields, for a different eye problem but, the Consultant spotted my MGD [Meibomian Gland Dysfunction] & told me to use hot compresses & massage my eye lids to release the oils.  He was much firmer with my eyes than I had been!  He also prescribed Azithromycin eye drops in both eyes for a month.  He told me it was a new treatment.  Subsequently I had my eyes tested at Specsavers [for new specs!] & he said I had MGD again, he said that they generally recommend oral Tetracyclines for 6 weeks.  But Specsavers obviously can deal with this, as, I am sure, other Optometrists can too, so do try going to one.

Good luck Jeff

• Posted

A friend sent me leaflets she had from the Edinburgh eye hospital that still said to use baby shampoo for Blepharitis. She has used it for years along with eye drops without it curing it.

I never had dry eyes prior to my cataract surgery two years ago. Then it cleared up after using the preservative free versions of eye drops. After a year it came back in my left eye and cleared up after a course of treatment.This time it is in the right eye. 

• Posted

I feel your pain , my eyes and eyelids burn itch feel like I have rocks on them drops and cream does not help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.