Very Happy Patient

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I will try and keep this simple and give you an idea of what's coming.

I'm 37 years old and have been suffering from Advanced Left Hip Arthritis for the last 2,5 years.

I'm now recovering very well and i'm very happy with the whole thing.

I had my surgery on Thursday the 27th of August and was discharged on Sunday morning the 30th of August.

i had spinal and not total  anethesia as the waking up from it is much easier.

On the day of the surgery i didn't feel much as the morphine took a good few hours to completely leave my system and couldn't feel my legs.Normal.

Keep an eye for morphine side effects as itching and naussea but nothing major.

On day 2 Friday,the pain started but guess what?There was no joint pain just stiches and muscles.On Friday i actually took a sort walk with a walker.Not bad!

By Saturday the pain was going away and didn't need any painkillers at all.I took a good few walks with cruches on Saturday and started feeling stronger already,even though a bit light headed from the Meds.

Just go easy on the pill painkillers and ask for injective ones if available.

I found Tradol(Tramadol) very helpfull.

Expect bowl and bladder immobility until Saturday but it should go away.

On​ Sunday morning i could walk myself out from the Hospital,with cruches of course,but enjoyed the free ride from the porter smile

It's now Monday and i managed to walk myself to my GP which is only 20 meters from my house and on 1 crouch!

Super!

Boy was he shocked to see me standing in front of him...

Everything is working out great.I'm very carefull with certain movements and always have a pillow between my legs when i sleep,lying on my back of course.Sleeping on your back for at least 4 weeks is something you have to get used to.

What i wanted to mention after all that is 2 things:

-Don't be afraid,just go and do it.I know it seems like such a major surgery but all you are left with after you finish with it is a new hip and a kind of long scar on the side,which will heal in 4 weeks.

-GET UP AND WALK WHEN THEY TELL YOU TO.

You will regret it if you don't.

If you just lie on your bed feeling misserable and in pain,you will only prolong your stay in the hospital and will feel even more pain when you enentually decide to get out from the bed.

Take my word for it.I've seen others that didn't and i waved at them goodbye while they where still in bed and in agony.

I want to thank everyone who read this and wish you all good luck with the surgery and recovery.

Jorgos

7 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Many thanks,... very encouraging... all the best for the future.
  • Posted

Well done you!

I would certainly agree regarding getting yourself up and out of bed as soon as possible. The sooner you get your new limbs moving, the better as the longer you leave it, the stiffer you will be and find it more difficult when you do eventually get yourself up (not to mention the benefits regarding DVT prevention). 

A good, positive attitude such as yours is defintely the way to a successful recovery.

Keep up the good work.

Ali xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.