Very heavy sweating upper body, neck, face and head

Posted , 10 users are following.

This goes beyond hot flashes. For over 20 years I have had very heavy sweating. It is to the point that my hair is soaking wet, as if I have shampooed! My upper chest, neck and face are also sweaty, drippy sweaing. Anyone else have/had this? I've asked doctors and they don't seem concerned. My mom was the same and her doctor told her it could last the rest of her life, it did. She died at 79, still sweating away. Any suggestions? And, what type of doctor to see for this?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I probably shouldn't answer this, as I don't get this symptom, but it sounds awful!  I assume that your doctor is not concerned because your overall health is good?  but surprised that the doctor hasn't suggested anything for it especially as it has gone on so long too, and that your mother suffered with it too.  Did her doctor not suggest anything neither?  Maybe someone else might be suffering the same but how have you coped with this for so long?

• Posted

I have only experienced the excessive sweating, which came two years post meno, for about 6-9 months. Not sure how you have tolerated 20 years. I went to my doctor and asked to be put on a low dose AD (hormones aren't option for me) and for the most part, it seems to be helping. I still get some hot flashes but nothing like the excessive sweeting. I had even went to the extent of getting my shoulder length hair cut as I hated when the back of my hair would be sopping wet. There are some ADs that seem to help with this issue, have you tried them? 

Hope you find something that works for you!

• Posted

My husband sweats the same way. To the point where he needs to carry a tag with him everywhere he goes.

The doctors say its a good thing to sweat like that. I hardly ever sweat and that they are concerned with.

• Posted

Have you had your thyroid and hormones checked?
  • Posted

I have the same thing, for the past 3 years, and it is getting worse.  I end up dripping wet, my hair and clothes soaking wet.  I feel like I'm being tortured.  I have to bring extra clothes wherever I go, b/c once I get soaking wet from sweat, I start to freeze, and this can go on for hours.  Today at my son's house for Christmas, I brought an extra set of clothes, and TWICE during the few hours we were there, I had to put my clothes in the dryer and then change to warm dry clothes.  I have thyroid issues but many, many blood tests have turned up nothing.  It is driving me crazy. I tried a med. for hyperhydrosis, but all it did was make me very thirsty.  I'd also appreciate any suggestionss.

• Posted

I have the same issues you and your mom have and had. Like you , my family Dr. just 

makes a note in my records.  I wonder if any news has been shared since the post is a year old.  I'm 69 yrs. and retired to N.W. Fl. , I really do have to avoid the heat of summer.  Any help available from anyone ?  

• Posted

I BEEN SWEATING ABOUT A YEAR OR SO.MY HAIR IS ALSO COMING OUT, I HATE THE THOUGHT OF GOING ANYWHERE. I AS THOUGH EVERYONE IS LOOKING AT ME. I DID FIND OUT THAT I HAVE HYPERTHYROIDISM AND I AM TAKING LEVOTHYROXINE 50 MCG  TAB,ANY IDEAS. 
    • Posted

I was hyperthyroid many years ago, and I do think the meds may help your problem.  Good luck.
  • Posted

I'd love to hear if  you ever found anything that  was  helpful.  My sweating is so extreme that I can't even wear a bit of makeup, style my hair ,or wear anything like silk without ruining it. I'll be fine one second and for no apparent reason  I just start squirting sweat.  It ends just as abruptly. I hate it that my doctors just blow it off without even a possible explanation. My skin on my face and arms are usually ice cold to the touch  when this happens. I wish the doc had to deal with it for even a day and maybe it would merit a little concern then.

• Posted

Hi,  I wish I could say that I did.  I tried some pills (don't recall name) but they didn't work.  It happens that most of my clothes are black (I'm a New Yorker) but I like that b/c the perspiration doesn't show.  I don't wear light colored clothes, but my makeup doesn't stay and my clothes get wet.  As with you, no reason and I've had a million thryroid/endocrine tests.

My skin is generally clammy and sometimes cold to the tough.  But I also am EXTREMELY sensitive to cold as well.  Movie theaters are too cold for me, but if I really want to go, I have to wear long underwear under my jeans, which is ridiculous.  So I'm not good in either hot or cold weather - may perfect range is about 80-85!  Do you have the same issue w/ being cold?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.