Very high cholesterol and pregnant :(

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with familial hypocholesterolemia 8 years ago. My cholesterol was at 5.6 until around a year ago when it started creeping up, it is now at just under 12 and I am unable to take statins as I am pregnant (7 months gone). I am incredibly worried both for baby and myself. How long can my body handle such a high cholesterol level without meds? Taking them won’t be an option until I have had the baby.. do I ask to be induced before my date so I can start taking them? Will my baby be at risk whilst I have such high cholesterol? Will I be fine for another two months without meds or can the cholesterol do damage over that time? It’s been at 12 for roughly two months already (that I know of, I requested the bloods be done as I hadn’t had them checked for a year). I am worried for many reasons and worry the added stress isn’t going to do me and baby any good. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I come from a family with familial hypercholesterolemia or FH as its commonly called.  2 of the women in my family had sky high levels of cholesterol when they were pregnant (similar to your 12 reading) and they have 4 kids total ranging in age from 5 to 14.  All 4 of the kids are perfectly healthy and normal. 2 of them did inherit the FH genetic disorder but are very healthy.
    • Posted

Thank you very much for your reply, I feel slightly better knowing that others have had sky high cholesterol during pregnancy, the doctor told me that it goes up anyway during pregnancy but that mine was far too high, so it worried me a lot. I shall try to worry less for these last two months and get back on the statins as soon as I can. Hopefully the little one won’t get FH but I know the chances are high, my fingers are crossed anyways smile Thanks again for your info/advice smile 
  • Posted

Hi, 

I have FH and like you stop whilst pregnant, baby born fine, went straight back on tablets on a slightly higher dose for 2 weeks to bring it back down. 

Hope all is well by now 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.