Very high PSA

Posted , 33 users are following.

My fiance, almost 70, has had excellent health his entire life...never hospitalized, no sutgery..just never ill. He has been athletic and is still strong and energetic. He has had restricted urine flow for past year, but no pain. His gp ordered Psa and when it was still 137, referred him to urologist and diagnosed him with BPH. Physician assistant did DRE and noted one spot and set him up for biopsy. He and I researched thoroughly and there is so much conflicting information on internet. He decided to cancel biopsy and scheduled his appointment with more experienced dr in group. Before that appointment he had another PSA and it dropped to 107. He had changed his diet in that interim.When we went to Dr appt we were prepared with so many questions. We just got even more confused and distraught. Dr did another DRE and found prostate only somewhat enlarged and found one or two unusual spots. He admitted he had never seen such a high PSA. Of course the dr wants to do a biopsy, which is scheduled for later this month. He told us that he likely had stage 3 or 4 cancer and purpose of biopsy was to determine what kind of cancer. He admitted he would certainly recommend removing prostate and then radiation and/or chemotherapy. We begged him to order the tests like ultrasound and or bone scan and blood tests to determine if cancer had metasticized without undergoing the risks of biopsy, especially at his age. He refused.

Can anyone give us ideas as to what might cause the high PSA other than cancer. These are our concerns. It appears that just about every 70 year old has cancer cells in prostate as the prostate seems to be vulnerable to chronic health issues, maybe due to proximity to colon (he has been extremely constipated for same year as restricted urine). Other than urine flow issues he is very healthy. We have heard that cadmium is directly related to prostate issues but dr is not interested in etiology of issues. Also, he has had clow Testosterone for two decades, together with extreme loss of hair on legs, and chronic ED, and sometimes blood in ejaculate. We have learned that low Testosterone leads to prostate issues but Drs don't seem to pay any attention to it...but to us, the signs and symptoms are possibly related to some problem that is causing the unusual PSA. We just don't want to fall headlong into a prostate cancer treatment if the real cause is something like a glandular or brain driven hormonal slump that drives up PSA.

Does anyone have experience with these outrageous psa numbers, How can we get dr to order tests to determine spread of any prostate cancer without risks of invasive surgery.

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am sorry to hear of your fiance's concerns.  I am also a 70 year old man.  When I was screened at the age of 50 by my primary care physician my PSA was 10.  He sent me to a urologist and I had a blind biopsy.  No cancer was found although I am certain it was there.  Two years later a second biopsy and still no cancer.  At age 60 I had a color doppler guided biopsy and two cores had cancer 3 + 4.  PSA doubling time varied right around five years.  Although the urologist urged me to have a prostatectomy, my readings suggested that the risks and liabilities outweighed what I came to understand as very limited benefits.  Shortly thereafter the US Preventative Services Task Force produced a document that supported my hesitancy.  I am now 70, have eschewed treatment all these years, my PSA is just over 100 and I have no symptoms and would not know that I have cancer were it not for PSA screening so many years before. The median age of death from prostate cancer is 82 years.  My predicted life expectancy is 14.1 years getting me to 84.  I am happy that I chose not to engage in treatment as my life would have been irrevocably altered for the worse.  I remain reasonably active, work for pleasure, and recently became a grandfather.  There has been a woman in my life for over eight years who is a pleasure to me and who I would like to be my fiance/spouse.  As yet I have been unable to convince her.  If I am fortunate, I hope to live longer than the life expectancy table would predict and live those years in good health and die with the prostate cancer that I chose not too fight and have learned to look at as my old age companion.  We'll see.  

With that said, my best to your fiance......and to you.  Carl 

• Posted

Hi JJ.  Glad to hear that you are interested in a 70 year old.  I turned 70 this last year and have a very delightful woman that is interested in me.

It never ceases to amaze me how little physicians seem to understand about PSA. And just to keep you interested in what I am writing, my PSA is just over 100.  And for what it is worth, I have not had any treatment for cancer nor do I anticipate having teatment.  In my country prostate cancer is wildly overtreated.  An important thing for you to read in its entirety would be The US Preventative Services Task Force Recommendations on Prostate Cancer.  

Back in 1995, at the age of 50 my doctor recommended that I be given a routine PSA test (the first mistake).  It came back a 10 so he then ordered a biopsy.  A blind biopsy came back negative and a follow-up biopsy two years later also came back negative (at that point my prostate had been stuck a total of 16 times with a needle that tracked feces into my prostate and tracked prostate cancer cells out of the capsule the prostate lives in.....a conceptually flawed methodology if I ever heard of one).  I am certain that I had prostate cancer 20 years ago, it just wasn't found with the biopsy needles.  In 2005 with a PSA approaching 26 I went for a color doppler guided biopsy and watched as they stuck needles in hot-spots (blood engorged areas in my prostate).  Two of eight needles came back positive for adenocarcinoma (cancer).  Gleason was rated a 3 + 4 (you should also look up grade creep, a phenomenon that is the result of a vigorous malpractice industry in my country).  My urologist recommended a prostatectomy but could only justify his recommendation by telling me "people get a prostate diagnosis and get scared and want it out."  Scared didn't seem like a very good justification for a surgery that would dramatically alter my life, so I refused, met with a much older urologist who quietly confided that he wouldn't have my cancer treated if it were him.  He explained that my cancer is slow growing Gleason 3, diploid, and a very long PSA doubling time (approximately five years).  The latter is a very important concept to wrap your mind around.  A slow-growing cancer doubles in two or more years, fast growing in less than two years.  But what that means is it would double from 2 to 4 in the first two year period but it would double from 64 to 128 in the sixth two year period.  While the latter looks scary, it is the same slow doubling time.  

What I don't know about your husband is what his PSA doubling time is.  The high number could mean that he's had a slow-growing, non life threatening prostate cancer for a very long time (like me).  Also, it would appear that your fiance's PSA is very erratic.  That can be caused by such simple things as an infection, sexual activity including masturbation, injury, etc.  

With regard to testosterone, there are also many misunderstandings.  First, prostate cancer is extremely rare in young men who have very high testosterone typically.  The incidence of prostate cancer predictably goes up as men age and their testosterone levels predictably decline.  There is a belief that prostate cancer feeds on testosterone and that is to a degree true.  So, in order for it to live as it is it needs a daily dose or feeding.  When you go on hormone blocking, the cancer gets activated and often mutates into androgen (testosterone) independent cancer, a much more virulent, aggressive and potentially life threatening version of prostate cancer.

Like your fiance, cancer wants to live.  When you tease it, abuse it, or otherwise taunt it then it mutates and eventually metastasizes in order to continue to live.  While it is true that if you have a very aggressive cancer (hard to define)......maybe Gleason 8, more likely Gleason 9 or 10; haploid vs diploid, rapid PSA doubling time; and you're less than 65 you might consider treatment otherwise, read the US Preventative Services Task Force Recommendations on Prostate Cancer.....it will open your eyes!

Finally, prostate cancer is considered the "old man's disease."  At 70 years old your fiance has a 50 50 chance of having prostate cancer.  Clearly, far and away most men die of something else.  The modal age of death from prostate cancer in the US is 82 and a graph of age at death shows a skew to older age.  A 65 year old man in the US has a life expectancy of 18 years.  

I am taking my chances with prostate cancer and avoiding treatment.  I have no symptoms and am enjoying life.  

But ultimately it is between you and your fiance to make the call.  I wish you the very best,  Carl    

• Posted

That is high for sure, but if it is stage 3 or 4 then I don't understand what good is a biopsy. It is my understanding that a biopsy is used to determine if you have cancer and if it has spread beyond the prostate. You can get another opinion and the doctor shouldn't force you to take a test you are not ok with. In my case 10 years ago I was told that I have Ulcerative Colitis and my doctor at the time told me the best thing to do is have my Colon removed and I would to deal with a colostomy bag the rest of my life. I was given no other options from this doctor, so I told him he is crazy to suggest this to me without going over all my options so I told him he is fired as my doctor and I will send for my records when I find a new one. I found a good doctor that found a medication that worked for me and I still have my Colon. The decision was totally up to me and your care choices are up to you, after all you are the one who has to live with your choices not your doctor. The doctor is supposed to be working for you not the other way around. I hope this helps. I wish you luck and take care.
  • Posted

My father have large prostate and when we checked his PSA, PSA is 85.20 but he is suffering from UTI at that time. After three week treatment by antibiotic his PSA is now 84.51 . still to much high. What should I do kindly suggest me.

He is diabetes patient.

• Posted

HI

I am 81 PSA 48.

I had a T2 type scan then  Template Guided Prostate Biopsies with general anaesthesia.

I was told that  there was no cancer and that the high PSA was probably caused by having an enlarged prostate.

I would strongly recommend this procedure to anyone who has prostae problems and can afford K£4

• Posted

15 years ago my PSA was 10 l had 8 biopsies  this caused sepsis  and I was ill. Since then I have had 9 Mri scans 1nuclear scan PSA 3test and my PSA is 70 now. The biopsies were negative. I have prostate cancer possibly slow growing. They want me to have template biopsies but after last time no thankyou. My PSA doubles every 40 months. I get very tired but no pain yet.l read about taking bicarbonate of soda check it out on the Internet.then check your ph tests if you keep them about 7 you are alkaline if not you are on the acid side check out cancers growing on sugar.keep to a Mediterranean diet avoid red meats. Keep trim and not overweight gentle exercise.who knows what the future lies but is this better than surgery chemo or radiation treatments.like to hear your comments good luck.
    • Posted

Philip,

Very sorry to hear about the ordeal you are going through. One thing that really caught my attention was your statement "..but is this better than surgery chemo or radiation treatments."

Like you, I had increasing PSA, two biopsies, but positive results from the biopsies for low risk prostate cancer (Gleason 6). My conclusion was that all of this testing and sampling and anxiety WAS a form of treatment, that never had any resolution. 

So, after several years of reasearch and interviewing many top doctors, I decided to move forward with treatment. I decided on HDR - High Dose Brachytherapy. 

I went in for two painless and easy treatment sessions spaced two weeks apart. The only side effect was prostate swelling after the second treatment. I had to wear a catheter for 5 weeks until the swelling subsided. 

My PSA is now down to 0.2 and holding. My prostate continues to shrink and it's getting easier to urinate. Treatment was performed in Sept. of 2014. 

There will never be another biopsy. The anxiety is gone. I have stopped spending half my waking life reading about prostate issues. 

I have two more friends who had the robotic surgery, and the side effects are not good - ED and incontinence. I am just fine in both departments. 

My very best to you,

Tom

• Posted

Philip,

" is this better than surgery chemo or radiation treatments.like to hear your comments..". Went through the routine - rising PSA, biopsies, testing every 3 months etc. Very stressful. Finally, decided to have my prostate cancer treated. Interviewed many doctors. Decided to go with HDR - high dose brachytherapy. HIFU was not available for me and Proton Beam was not available in my area. 

Two treatments, no pain, very easy. Did get some prostate swelling after second treatment so had to have a catheter for a 5 weeks until swelling went down. 

Now, no issues. PSA 0.2 and steady. Worries gone. Stress gone. High PSA can be caused by many factors other than cancer - BPH or infection. The doubling every 40 months is a negative, but the fact that the biopsies and scans can't detect any cancer is also a mystery. 

If you do, eventually, get a positive diagnosis for even low grade prostate cancer I can tell you that getting some type of treatment is a LOT easier than going through all this testing and constant worry. 

What you are now going through is taking over your life. You want to get your life back and put this all behind you if possible. 

Best of luck...

Tom

• Posted

There's a load of bs about this. My psa has always been 1.8, 2.2..... but one time I was in the hospital for a minor heart problem and a random psa test showed a psa of 43. The doctor told me I probably had prostate cancer and it is serious at that level. So my urologist prescribed 2 weeks antibia tics because a dre showed nothing. In 2 weeks it was down quite a bit, and 6 months later it was back at 2. The facts are that even at a psa of 40, you only have a 67% chance of having prostate cancer. My father in law has a psa of 6.8 and he had prostate cancer. He had seed implants and died at age 85, 15 years later and of a heart attack.

• Posted

My jouney just begins at 67. With a PSA average of 2.4 over the last 12 years. In April I had a severe UTI, which happened a month before my annual blood test. After the  UTI subsided with antibiotics my PSA went from 2.4 to 12 over a 4 month period and still rising. Here is Australia, takes a 2-3 months to see urologist. So while waiting, I am thinking about getting a mpMRI ($500)with a tesla 3 machine. This way, I can front up with my blood/urine work as well as the MRI, which should help? Also, I will get the results of the MRI before my urologist visit, so this may put my mind at rest...or otherwise, when I read the radiologist report.

While understand the logic of the biopsy, not sure if jabbing and provoking the prostate and causing it to bleed into my system with possibly cancer cells such a good idea. Hoping the mpMRI will say, "you have prostatitus" or maybe, ummm, some thing not right there.. Anyway, will report back later.

Jed

• Posted

That is the direction I am leaning towards. I think a 3T MRI to fine a problem area or not to find is a good and safe first step. I am not sure why Urologists seem to jump to blind biopsy first. They tend to want to stabb our prostates 12 plus times in hopes to find cancer and when it yields nothing then they may want to send you for a 3T MRI. I think this is backwards and needs to be changed. If the MRI shows something then they have a targeted biopsy and the need for multiple punctures is eliminated, thus cutting down on the risks for the patient. I have an appointment with my Urologist this week as I have been having issues now for many months, so I can only immagine what they will want to put me through. I do have the right to say no, this is how I want to handle this. I agree with you.
  • Posted

HI All,

I am 41 and had a regular blood test 4 weeks ago and my PSA was 74... 1 week later the doctor felt my prostate and said it feels normal and asked for me to come back 3 weeks later for another psa test. My psa has risen to 82... There is no infection shown in bloods or urine test.

I am being referred to a Urologist and expect to see him within 2 weeks.

I am so frightened that I have cancer and can't think what else it can be? Everything seems to point to Cancer and haven't spoken with anyone that's made any sense... Is 82 really high? Should I be worried?

Any advice would be gratefully received?

For all of you on here that are have been diagnosed or know someine going through it.I wish you all a speedy recovery.

• Posted

pete, start a new thread, 'Very high PSA' rather than hijack jj's This way you keep all "your" comments together rather than mix them. It gets confusing as to who you are answering.

My quick advice is to get a mpMRI on a 3T MRI machine asap. I was in a similar position to you, though much lower PSA, and MRI confirmed chronic prostatitus and BPH.

Geoff

• Posted

geoff, for the 3T MRI, what was your PI-RAD score (1-5) ?
    • Posted

My PIRAD score was 2. The actual report said it was 1 but had instances of 2, so they always report the worse case, hence a 2.
    • Posted

Hi Jeff,

My first PSA at age 52 was 2.0 and bounced around a little then started rising.

Last year at age 64 it was 8.1 and this year it jumped to 15.3 I was diagnosed in 2011 with BPH and prostatitis with PSA 4.5 and the urologist said I had significant enlargement. 2012 PSA 6.00 and another urologist says I have substantial enlargement and prostatitis. I declined biopsies. Prostatitis symptoms still come and go with sometimes burning when I pee, painful ejaculation, swollen testicles, swollen lymph node in pubic area, sense of sitting on a golf ball. 2016 PSA 8.00 and recent PSA 15.3 My dad was diagnosed with prostatitis and BPH and and had classic symptoms. He died at at 73 of heart attack. I'm being scheduled with urologist again. Do you think my BPH and prostatitis could give me the PSA of 15.3 ? I know prostate continues to grow. What was your PSA ?

Thanks ! Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.