very itchy skin

Posted , 15 users are following.

My skin itches like mad...different areas for different lengths of time..The Rheum said...".Nothing to do with sjogrens " ( currrently I am on remission from sjogren syndromes and so off the Plaquenil)

​I did have Pityriasis Rosea but even that didn't itch (cleared up after 4 months) I have noticed when I get hot my skin starts to prickle and then the itching starts..sometimes my feet get a 'nervous' tingling ....(similar sensation to a nervous stomach before an interview or something ) not a pleasant sensation...(never my hands)

I dont have dry skin but have still tried heavy moisturisers ...my diet hasnt changed...has anybody else experienced this?

​Should i see a dermatologist or revisit a rheumatologist ? Both have long waiting lists..

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I started itching on my legs. Lower first then it moved up. It itched so bad I would cry! It then moved up to my back. I would rub itch cream on and massage into my skin until it dulled to a point I could stand it. I started taking Allergy pill in morning (non-drowsy) Loratidine and Benadryl at night which really helped. This lasted several weeks and finally subsided. Stress brought it on some days so I would try to relax and so some deep breathing. This has happened twice in the last year and a half. I was diagnosed 2 years ago. Sjogrens and Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I still take Loratidine , Plaquenil and Pilocarpine. Everyone has different symptoms, I believe this is one of them.
  • Posted

Hi Shaq26875.

Before I was diagnosed with Sjogrens, I'd get rashes in different places (left leg, back) and had not been a "rashy" person before my diagnosis. I was told by my dr. that was probably a symptom.  I'd use an over-the-counter itch cream and eventualy it went away.

I think it's a good idea to have a list of symptoms/issues to help you and your dr. sort through them. I also keep a health journal to understand and manage my symptoms.

Glad to hear you're in remission and off the planquenil!  Tracy.

• Posted

Hi. I experience the itchy skin quite often. It is a definite symptom of Sjogrens. There are ties when your Sjogrens may be in a flare and that's when you suffer from head to toe.I have had Lupus, Sjogrens, Fibro plus so many other issues and am disabled and have been since 1990. One day you will have joint pain the next next day itching or muscle pain. It seems to move locations all the time. I am suffering from severe fatigue. This is pretty new to me. I am also having alot of bladder infections. At least one every couple months. They are so painful and I get so sick like I have the flu and I get a fever. I guess this has become my weak point. Kind of scared. My kidneys were dry on a couple of tests my rheumy said. Is anyone having anything like this?
    • Posted

Yes I know what you are saying.  For your bladder problems I would suggest drinking loads of fluid 
    • Posted

Thank you for your response regarding all my recent bladder infections. I have just been diagnosed with interstitial cystitis. I kept telling my doctors I felt like I had a bad bladder infection. No nothing s showing that. I told them the pain is so bad! I just got, its something else. I was fed up and went to a rheumy not in my network but paid cash to see her. She's seen me for 30 yrs. I knew she would give me answer and she did. I have interstitial cystitis severe inflammation in my bladder. Have to see an urologist for treatments. Not looking forward ton. I'm glad I persisted because I wasn't going to acceptx

• Posted

If got rheumatoid arthritis and Sjorgens.  I get bouts of terrible itching - skin looks perfectly normal but itches like mad.  Have noticed that when I have the itching problem I do not have the other problems like sore joints, itchy sore eyes or all others - it's as though when the other are inactive the itching starts.  I think it is Sjorgens. I've also been having terrible diarrhea lately, told rheumatologist who said it was nothing to do with Sjorgens, she sent me to gastro.  I goggled Sjogren's and diarrhea and the two are connected and are due to my having developed problems eating wheat due to the Sjorgens.  I don't think half these doctors know what they are doing - I actually find rheumatologists pretty ineffective.  As for the itching I've found laying down on a cold floor seems to help and using lavender oil. 

• Posted

i dont have diarrhea as such but may have bowel movements (loose and indefinite form ..if u know what i mean) up to 4/5 a day....(aparently thats the also the definition of diarrhea) . This my gastro told me was not normal and endoscopy showed GERD (and Barretts, esophagtis, chronic gastritis) On the Barretts forum I was told the many sjogren sufferers also have GERD.

?I must try your remedy  of lavendar oil and cold floors smile 

• Posted

I too have an itching problem to the point of causing bruises. I finally see my rheumatologist today and will see what he says!! Drives me crazy!!
    • Posted

I too am going through the worst SS flare-up in 26 years and now am itching around my ankles. There is no rash, it just itches like crazy. I tried treating it with a topical antihistamine but no luck. My doctor thinks it might be caused by raised creatinine and urea. Will know tomorrow when I get my results back.What I do know is that SS can affect Kidney function and that in turn can cause itchy skin.
    • Posted

Hi Zeet, Please get back to me too. I've had insane itching for years and of course only dry skin seems to be our problem. I too have kidney issues which I also did not realize it was something like our creative.That concerns me most. Please let me know what your results show. Thank yiug

• Posted

Hi Kristyk

Just received my results. All normal except for elevated blood/sugar level. Maybe that was because it was not a fasting blood test. I have my full immunology screen on the 30th and have my appointment with my consultant on the 5th September. As for the itch, I put Vicks on it last night and this morning no itching.

• Posted

Thank you for your update. I'm going to try the Vicks for my itching. I once heard mentolatum helps itching. My itching is my back now and its driving me crazy.Let me know how the rest of your appointments go. I wish the best and things keep going in a positive way for you. Thanks again and God bless you.

Kristyk

• Posted

I have such severe itching that it brings me to insanity! I go weeks without washing my head and body in the shower. something has got to stop the itching but nothing has worked. I've tried expensive to cheap lotions and nothing works. what activates my itching is heat, water, sweat, the sun, the wind, and anything that stimulates my skin sends me off on a frenzy. I have been suicidal in the past due to itching. someone please tell me what works! I need help. I have been diagnosed with sjogrens and lupus.

• Posted

Dear BHM. I have discovered, only very recently, to take anti-histamines for the itching - just the standard anti-hayfever pills that you get in the chemist/supermarket - give it a try you've got nothing to lose.

• Posted

My itching seems to have disappeared recently. I find seems on clothing sets it off...to the point i wear things inside out at home ..especilayy in things which have large seams.

Must try the antihistamines next time.

?How can u tell if its SS which is causing excruciating shoulder pain ? or just 'pulled' something or old tendonitis resurfaced?

?Have very painful shouder and now my clavicle is affected...sore to the point of just touching it. Xray shows osteoporosis but nothing else. Been given meds for Shoulder and Neck syndrome and other painkiller..specifically for this type of pain and a gel for the shouder...all only work temporarilry. Now i have got some sort of skin allergy to the gel...burns like crazy and cant use it at all.

Cant sleep on the shoulder or on my back and only on the unaffected side...Last night i took all the presrcibed meds plus couple of panadols and brufen 600 in despearation to sleep fitfully for 5 hours.

?I took myself off plaquenil about 14 months ago . I know the rheum will take blood tests and stick me back on plaquenil. I would just like to know if anyone else  here has experienced similar or have suggestions    

• Posted

Hi babe,

I take perscription Claritin for my itching works a treat. Only take it when I need it though. Will stop the itching within 15-30 minutes.

Regards,

Mandy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.