Very Large Incisional Hernia

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All, I had emergency abdominal surgery (Hartmanns Procedure) In September last year. A couple of months after the surgery I developed an incisional hernia which is now huge and causing problems with movement and mobility. Initially the surgeon said he would operate to repair the hernia but during a second meeting he seems very reluctant stating that the initial surgery was complex and risky. He thinks that the risk of more surgery is too high. He said the risk of death is around 15%. I’m baffled and don’t know what to do. I can’t live forever with this hernia, it’s a real risk of strangulation. Has anyone here been faced with a similar situation?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michael,

I have just seen your post and I don't know if you have found any answers yet. I don't understand the risk of death percent unless there is another issue. And if theres strangulatIon, you'll need surgery anyway. All surgery has risks and I have read many cases of repeated hernia repairs. I have 2 ventral hernias due to a hysterectomy almost 3 years ago. Doctors ignored me when I knew something was wrong and they got really big. Unfortunately I'm older and a bit overweight so the doctor said I need lose 80 pounds before he'll operate. I might be okay for a year but then I'll be risking issues. If he does it now, chances are he'll have to do it again and possibly it won't work and shorten my life span. It's hard to drop the pounds fast, like doctors expect.

I know this doesn't help you but i hope you see another doctor and find the answers you seek.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi,

Yours is the one and only response so far, so I thank you for that. I really feel that I don't have an option other than to have the surgery, despite the risks, which are signicant apparently. I'm in my early 60s and cannot live with this as it is. Its causing major problems for me and due to size and location is at real risk of strangulation. Like you I have been asked to lose weight but the surgeon also stated that he appreciates that my weight is mainly due to the way I'm genetically made. Complications for me and the associated risks are type 2 diabetes, sleep apnoea, uncontrolled gout in both feet and ongoing vertigo since my last surgery. I am hoping to see the surgeon fairly soon to see where we go from here.

Good luck to you as well.

Take Care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.