Very Light Period for past 4 month

Posted , 21 users are following.

27 years old, always had very regular heavier periods. For the past 4 months, starting in May of 2016 until recently in August 2016, I have been getting very light periods. And I was almost late to start AF in May. I can now pretty much go with using 1 pad all day (but don't for sanitary reasons), even though i can probably get away with using panty liners; and my period barely last 1-3ish days with little bleeding. I tend to sleep on my stomach while on my period to prevent leaks & i only have blood on my pad after waking (past 3 months), not throughout the day. It tends to only come out when i use the restroom. I have also had very, very tender breasts, nausea and a lot of bloating on and off (pms seems to have extended itself to half a month long), but the bloating and nausea are more constant; i've also had a few hot flashes before this last "period" in August. So I thought maybe I'm pregnant, but i've taken about 6 pregnancy tests every so often since May and all negative. So I'm thinking it has to be something else. My most recent August period/AF was 2 days early, I had REALLY bad cramps the first day that radiated to my back and even to both my legs, but this was the lightest period of them all and I didn't even have blood except for a few drops on my pad after waking up and it barely lasted 3 days. Any idea what could be going on with me? I'm very confused and cant get an appointment until the end of this month with a nurse practitioner. Thanks in advance!

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't think it's anything but pure luck. Just take it as a blessing.

• Posted

Hi Amber

Sounds like you could have a hormone issue going on there, what you are describing is spotting more than a period itself.

Hang in there until your appointment and simple blood tests will show hormone problems which is easily treated with birth control.

My period can vary between heavy and light but mostly its inbetween the two, wish i didnt have to put up with it half the time as it makes my back ache worse than normal.

I hope you get sorted out soon. take care

• Posted

Recently had a hormone test done & everything came back normal. Still having light periods, I think it's 7 months now. Scheduled a womanly exam for the end of the month where hopefully they'll be able to let me know what's happening.

• Posted

Hi, I was looking up reasons why I might be having really irregular and light periods honestly these past four months and I almost thought your post was my own!

I had gotten my blood tested and was told nothing is wrong and it's probably hormonal imbalances as well. I'm wondering if you heard anything in particular when you went for a check up at the women's clinic?

Hope everything is alright! Thanks.

• Posted

I actually got referred to a gynecologist by my dr because she couldn't figure out what was wrong; I even had a pelvic and normal ultrasound (they said came back normal but never told me what they were actually looking for). My gyno appointment was kinda pointless cuz he just sort of rushed me out & I didn't event get to explain all my symptoms and all he said was "it's totally normal at your age (then 27, recently 28) for your period to change". Honestly I am left still not knowing for certain why my period went from being super heavy to now still being super light. So if you ever get any answers I'd love to hear them. Good luck!

I also had new symptoms in November 2016 and December 21016 where I would feel this weird pressure in my vaginal area for a few seconds that I never felt (told my dr this, didn't get a chance to tell my gyno). I honestly feel like US healthcare has failed me, like so many others. But still good luck! I would still recommend seeing your dr just to make sure.

• Posted

Same problem. Always had heavy periods and now it has become so light.  Tried preg tests, negative (very less chance anyway). This started around December 2016. In Feb, the flow and amount was better. I thought that the problem is solved, but no. But again this month, it has been crazy. Spotting at random times and very light periods. Setting up an appointment this week. sigh... hope it is just a hormonal imbalance and nothing more. Really worried. 
    • Posted

I’m struggling with the same problem. Did your doctor ever find out the cause? 
    • Posted

I don't know how I missed this message. 

For me, it was my PCOS springing up again. I went on birth control pills for a few months and now it is fine. I was given some medication but I stopped that because I was trying to get pregnant. 

• Posted

No worries! Ha I’m in the same boat - trying to get pregnant and it’s not happening! Doctor diagnosed me with “unexplained infertility” which is frustrating because we don’t know what is the problem. Had 2 rounds of clomid + IUI and i thought the second round was timed pretty darn well but still nothing. Starting to feel discouraged and really don’t want to head down the IVF route .... sad been telling myself not to stress since it definitely doesn’t help with fertility which is hard because people left and right around me are getting pregnant so easily ...  although I find yoga and meditation to have a calming effect on my mind. smile hope to hear your TTC story soon ! Best of luck ! 
  • Posted

I have exactly the same problem as you Amber! I used to get heavy period as well, especially the first two days, then suddenly, my flow became so light four months ago (I would say about 1/3 or less of my normal flow). I googled the possible causes and said stress could be a factor. I thought it could be stress as I was going through some emotional stuff around that time , but I feel much better now but the flow is still not normal! I went to my OBGYN and she said it’s nothing to worry about (did pap and physical check and all was fine). I’m going to request doing a blood work this month to check my hormones .... maybe even a uterine lining ultrasound?! sad worried! did you ever find out what your cause was Amber ?! Thanks for sharing ! 
    • Posted

Hi Jessica; unfortunately I never got an answer other than “it’s normal for your age (27 at the time) to get a lighter flow” (told this by a gynecologist). I am still, more than 1 year later having much lighter flows than I used to but I’m sick of crappy doctors so I’ve just accepted it as the new normal. Hope all works out with you! It is quite nice having such a light flow, but the dramatic decrease was a bit alarming. Good luck!
  • Posted

This has just happened to me. My last period was january 2017 and had nothing until now which was november 5th. Its just light spotting but im feeling very tired and irritable. Last year i had hysteroscopy which revealed large polyp and very thick uterine lining. Was put on drug called provera for 6 weeks which gave me the bleed from hell which lasted 3 months non stop. Am going to monitor myself and see how things go. Wish me luck.
  • Posted

Finally I read something that doesn’t say “it’s implantation bleeding” or “you’re pregnant!”. I’m having the exactly same issue for the past 2 periods and I’m currently 27 years old. I took 4 pregnancy tests, all negative. I went to my doctor and she said not to worry because our hormones change every month (even while on BC). I have an appointment at the end of this month, I’m really hoping for real answers and that is not pregnancy or something super serious. I’ll keep you posted on what the doc tells me. As a side note, it’s already a relief to know that I’m not alone on this.
    • Posted

Girl, I’ve been freaking out because of this! I have the same symptoms as you! So even on BC, we can have light periods? Because I am on BC, had heavy periods every month, and then for the last two months, nothing but light periods! I’m scared, even though my boyfriend uses condoms, and there’s never anything wrong with the condom when he pulls out. Let me know what happens!! 
    • Posted

This exact same thing happened to me! I used to have the heaviest periods so I went on birth control to control them, and although it made them lighter, they were still heavy. January 2018 I got a new heavy period. But since then, I have had such light periods that last for about a day or 2 and I PMS so badly for at least 2 weeks, but my bloating is pretty constant after I eat (it goes away about an hour or 2 after). I have taken so many pregnancy tests that have came back negative, and even went to  planned parenthood for one, which also came back negative. Every time I google it I see posts saying its "implantation bleeding" or i am pregnant. Knowing other people deal with this is giving me so much relief. Please tell us what happens!

• Posted

I'm not on BC but my periods use to be heavy the first 3 days and then slow down. But my last period was late and it was lighter than normal now my second period started on time but it's lighter than normal too. I've taken 3 test already and they all say negative. But I've been having small cramps since a week before my periods started getting lighter.

• Posted

Hey! I went to the doctor and told her everything, also that I took like 8 pregnancy tests lol she did a ultrasound to put me at ease. After a few months experiencing this, finally my period last month was completely back to normal! The doc said there was nothing wrong and that periods are not always the same, even on BC. I’m so sorry you’re experiencing this, I know how much I freaked out so I can understand 100% the panic. But hang in there! When you stop overthinking things will be back to normal 😘

• Posted

You already took tests and they are negative, you’re not pregnant! My period is back to normal and apparently there’s not a reasonable explanation for the months it came lighter 🤷🏼??? please stop Googling, this is what make us so anxious. Everything will be alright!

• Posted

I was given birth control pills and the first time I got it after taking those pills, periods was so heavy and it lasted for more days than usual. Then it went on to become normal. 
    • Posted

Hello there this is anna replying to your comment. Thank you for getting back to me. Im 57 years old and yes sexually inactive and have never been in any relationship. My periods started when i was 9 years old and from the onset they were very heavy and regular i.e. every 21 to 28 days . This continued until my early 50s when they started to become irregular i.e. miss a month and then 2 months and so on until 2016 when i was diagnosed with a uterine polyp. I had a hysteroscopy to remove it and thank god it was non cancerous. Sadly while the hysteroscopy was carried out they found out that i had a very thick uterine lining and in order to thin it out i was placed on a 6 week course of progesterone tablets and they gave me the bleed from hell which lasted 3 months non stop. I ended up in e.r 4 times and became very weak. I still have odd spotting now and again but nothing like a couple of years ago. I may be in the menopause too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.