Very Light Period for past 4 month

Posted , 21 users are following.

27 years old, always had very regular heavier periods. For the past 4 months, starting in May of 2016 until recently in August 2016, I have been getting very light periods. And I was almost late to start AF in May. I can now pretty much go with using 1 pad all day (but don't for sanitary reasons), even though i can probably get away with using panty liners; and my period barely last 1-3ish days with little bleeding. I tend to sleep on my stomach while on my period to prevent leaks & i only have blood on my pad after waking (past 3 months), not throughout the day. It tends to only come out when i use the restroom. I have also had very, very tender breasts, nausea and a lot of bloating on and off (pms seems to have extended itself to half a month long), but the bloating and nausea are more constant; i've also had a few hot flashes before this last "period" in August. So I thought maybe I'm pregnant, but i've taken about 6 pregnancy tests every so often since May and all negative. So I'm thinking it has to be something else. My most recent August period/AF was 2 days early, I had REALLY bad cramps the first day that radiated to my back and even to both my legs, but this was the lightest period of them all and I didn't even have blood except for a few drops on my pad after waking up and it barely lasted 3 days. Any idea what could be going on with me? I'm very confused and cant get an appointment until the end of this month with a nurse practitioner. Thanks in advance!

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm so glad this is not the usual "implantation bleed" "you are pregnant" post as well because thats ALL that pops up. I've been having this symptoms since Feb 2018 and it has been worrying me so much! I'm 25 years old this year, Type 1 diabetic and am currently on medication for hyperthyroidism, so not sure whether it could be hormonal imbalance or so. Not on BC, but did 3 pregnancy tests so far and am all clear as well. Going to have a check up in mid May and will be checking with my doctor to see if anything is up and hopefully nothing serious is happening! Have really been stressing out over this drastic change ugh

• Posted

Hi Amber, a light period can be as a result of so many things. Hormones (the thyroid gland) can also cause a light period out of nowhere.
  • Posted

Has anyone gotten results or an answer to this? I can totally relate to what you all are going through! 25 years old about 9 months ago I started having lighter and shorter periods and immediately assumed the worst, took a number of pregnancy tests at home and by my doctor and all came back negative. My grandma has a history of thyroid issues but my doctor is just telling me not to worry and that it is to just be accepted as normal and feel anything but. I would give anything to feel “normal” again. 
    • Posted

I don't know about your history but I usually have normal cycles of periods and then suddenly a delay. It was usually due to stress induced PCOS. Used to take birth control pills for a 2 or 3 months and then I usually am back on track till next stress spell. Last year I had "lighter" periods for the first time. Usually it is delays and heavy periods, never had light ones. So I went to doc. Same routine: birth control pills. After the first round of birth control pills, my bleeding was so heavy and then back to normal. 

• Posted

Hi! May i join in this discussion? Cause it seems like i have the same problem. 

Im 26 of age and i usually have irregular period, i tend to have my period every other month or 2 months. Then this may 27th came i had a light bleeding that continued up til now. Recently i notices that may breasts were getting larger, this was 5 days ago and my belly is growing bigger. I checked if im pregnant with the pregnancy test yesterday and the result was negative. And i got even more worried. 

Do you have any thoughts with this? Thanks a lot! 

• Posted

This is so good to read...I’ve been on oral bc for ages and my periods have been like clockwork. I knew when they would start down to the time of day and when they would finish. Then 3 months ago I was late and it was very light and short, last month was on time but light and short and this month seems the same. I’m 38 so was thinking it’s probably an age thing. I have some anxiety issues that cause me to not want to find out things for sure so have not seen a doctor or taken a pregnancy test but I figure the chances of pregnancy are extremely slim. At least reading these other comments I realize I’m not alone! Everything else says implantation spotting or pregnancy.
  • Posted

I’ve been the same I’ve ttc for two years me an my husband has to go through Ivf 😩 but the las year I’ve been haven realy light period it’s not normal I’ve had ovarian cysts I got a laporcopy before Christmas an there was nothing there am not waiting on my second laporcopy to remove the cyst it’s 6cm so it’s big enough so maybe that could be why my periods r lighter?? Getting no wer with my doctors feel like everyone thinks I’m mad but I no my own body am there is something wrong I have constant pelvic pain an back pain an also Breast tenderness also is any of use feeling the same? 

• Edited

I know this is an old thread, but hoping someone will reply. Did you figure out what was happening? I have the same issue for 4 years now. After numerous tests, histero, laparo, microbiome, no answer. I did find my hormones aren't OK, testosteron mildly elevated, DHEAs super elevated but my endo says it has nothing to do!!! Really desperate by this point, we want a child but my lining is so thin. Nobody knows why. I used to have heavy periods, now it's down to 2 days of bleeding. I was maybe 28 or 29 when it started. Never took birth control pills, maybe those could "reset" me?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.