Very new to Citalopram :/

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am new to Citalopram and antidepressants in general. I was prescribed Zoloft over a year ago and only took it for a couple weeks because the side effects made me act extremely bipolar. I tried to cope with my anxiety and worrying about everything on my own but it did not work so now I am going to be taking Citalopram. I have many reservations about medication that alters the brain. I have only taken it once (yesterday) and it made my heart race a little, I had nausea and racing thoughts and I also felt more anxiety than usual for a short amount of my night.

I am wondering if the benefits will eventually outweigh the side effects, the only thing that bothers me was the heightened anxiety. So I am wondering, is that a normal side effect and will it go away? And should I stick with it?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

The heightened anxiety is normal and only bothered me for a few days of the first couple of weeks so stick with it and u will be so glad u did it does work u just need to battle through the first couple of weeks smile
  • Posted

Hi alyssa

Welcome! We all worry about taking drugs especially for your brain but as my husband says if your heart or anyother part of your body was broken you would have to!!!

I can't believe how great I fill ive been on cits for 3 months and have my life back!!

The side effects are awful at times but I stuck with them

Take it day by day

Good luck

Always here for chat!!

• Posted

Thank you both so much! Your responses helped my view and I am definitely going to keep taking it and see how it goes!
  • Posted

Hi.

I have been taking citalopram for 2 weeks now 10mg. I am taking at night and still feel dreadful. Anxiety, not sleeping and fatigue throughout the day, really struggling to do my job. Nausea has now settled. How long do I need it give it?

Thanks

• Posted

Ferney maybe try taking the cit in the morning to help with sleeping at night as they can make you feel more awake sometimes... I take mine between 8 & 9 in morning and im asleep by 11pm and awake around 7am which is a lot better than before.

Took about 3 weeks for my heightened anxiety to settle im on week 8 now and glad I stuck with them smile

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Alyssa,

It takes perseverance and you will get there, and feel normal again, what you are going thru just now is normal, I felt the exact same as you, when you took the Cit yesterday your heart raced due to the anxiety of taking the Cit, I had this too, please join us on the forum Anyone NOT had any side effects on Citalopram? as so many folk on there at different stages of taking Cit, a really supportive group of people, check it out, everyone is welcome there, we are all there for each other, so we know we are not suffering alone.

Ferneyhough check out that forum as well, all ur questions will be answered and all lead to one end result---- feeling normal and happy again, !!!

Natasha is right about taking cit in the morning, as its a stimulant it can keep u awake at night, so take her advise and try them in the morning to see if that helps, and look at Natasha another good result, cit will get you there.

Anne smile

• Posted

Hi

I have tried in the morning and made me sleepy - I couldn't drive to work!!!

• Posted

What about when u get home from work?? settled for the evening. worth a try ??

Anne

• Posted

When I first went on SSRI's, I was just SO desperate to feel better and would have tried anything but, looking back, I'm sorry I was on them for so long (13 yrs.) I became to reply on them and was terrified to stop.

Now, I'm questioning the effect they have had on my brain, after so many years. They don't tell you, or even , know enough about what these pills do to you.

• Posted

In total agreement with you. After being on Prozac, Effexor, Weebutrin  and other SSRI meds for depression, I was on Cymbalta for over nine years. Most alleviated the depression for a while but eventually stopped working. Today I hardly know myself and have no desire to continue on with life. I suspect SSRI's do indeed have a long term effect on the brain in ways the medical community is not yet aware of.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.