Very out of date milk!

Posted , 2 users are following.

About 2 hours ago I had about an inch of milk in my coffee-drank about 2 3rds of it. Thing is, I just realised it went out of date 17 days ago!!! I'm flipping out!

I checked the milk and it doesn't look or smell rancid. It's been in a very cold fridge.

What are my chances of getting sick?! I'm so annoyed with myself as I have a sick phobia and I'm VERY careful about what I eat/drink!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have you had any reactions to the off milk?  If not, then probably it will be ok.  I'm surprised though it hadn't become like cheese. I once had milk that was four days out of date and it didn't look or taste bad and nothing happened to me.

• Posted

I'm still alive... so far! 4 days, not so bad. 17 though, I was sure I was a gonner! Still expecting to feel ill at any time.

Any idea how long would it take to affect me? It's been almost 9 hours now...

• Posted

If there was any bacteria in the bad milk, it might cause sickness.  However, sour cream that is used in scones is made from off milk and it causes no problems. Also cheese is made from milk that has gone sour.  If the milk didn't taste or smell bad, it probably is ok.  

To be sure, I always check the use by date and if it passes that date, I bin it.  With pasturisation, any bacteria in milk is eliminated, so it is safer than it used to be.

I really don't know how long it would take to poison you if it was going to because I have never taken milk that was 17 days out of date.  However, if you are still unaffected, maybe nothing will happen.

• Posted

Thanks Pippa. I'm usually extremely cautious with dates on stuff. To the point where my boyfriend gets annoyed with me! I've just eaten for the first time today. Hoping I'm going to be ok.

Thanks for replying x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.