Very painful burning and squeezing in back and around both ribs

Posted , 4 users are following.

Yesterday I experienced a sudden onset of the most painful burning and squeezing sensation that started center of back and wrapped around both ribs to the center of my sternum. The pain was crippling and lasted a good 15 mins before slowly calming down. But then it came back about 5 mins later and this happened in spasms for a couple hours. I took antacid at the time with no relief. Ended up in the ER and they finally gave me morphine. They did some blood work that looked fine, an EKG and sent me home with no answers. Has anyone experienced this before? I'm terrified it will happen again and even more scared because I don't know what caused it.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Maybe you have costochondritis.  It can be felt around the centre of your back, the ribcage and breast tissue. I had it for three months a couple of years ago and recently I have had it again.  However, my pain wasn't burning and squeezing; it was more agony to touch, dull and stabbing.  See your doctor again for a definitive diagnosis.  Was anything at all suggested at ER?

• Posted

They gave me a medicine for spasms and after reading about this medicine it's actually for IBS! I do not have ibs not any symptoms of it so I was very frustrated with the ER doctor. I've had costochondritis before but this was totally different

• Posted

Antispasmodics are not always used for IBS alone.  Sometimes they are prescribed to treat period cramps.  If your pain was coming in spasms, that is why they would have given you an antispasmodic and also to see if you might have IBS.

Has the antispasmodic worked?

• Posted

So this medicine would help the spasms in my rib area? I haven't had another one since the ER yesterday when they gave me morphine so I haven't taken any of the prescription they gave me

• Posted

I would try the medication if the pain comes back and then you will be able to see if it helps or not.
  • Posted

Hi, is it quite central where your stomach would be and sort of stingy burning pain, I had this after take antibiotics and lots of pain killers for DVT and it turned out to be gastritis. It moves across under ribs from side to side.  Constocondritis hurts when you press on ribs and chest area. 
    • Posted

It stretches from the center of my back the entire way around both sides just below my ribs.
    • Posted

Yes, you are right is does, my GP said that if you press and it hurts then it is likely to be costo, internal pain would not be felt as burning on skin.
    • Posted

If you get burning on the skin, it might be due the nerves being affected.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.