Very painful feet, does anyone else suffer the same symptom?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone. I have suffered a bad back since Easter. It came on after driving a long distance and started as bad back pain, with tingling and pain in my legs. Since seeing the doctor a month ago, going onto naproxen, the back pain is a lot better. Xray showed a problem with one of my discs, awaiting an appointment for an MRI scan. The pain has now centered on my feet. The pain is pretty much constant, with a tingling pins and needles, burning sensation. Then there are the sudden spasms of pain. A couple of days ago started taking Amitriptyline, hopefully this helps out, but no affect thus far. Reading the discussions on here is quite depressing as this appears to be a long term painful experience. I am happy to try anything to ease the pain, so please give any tips or advise you may have.

Many thanks T

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hey there,

My name is Michelle & I too have suffered from sciatica pain. I actually had surgery to relieve this pain as I suffered from it for > 1year. I am 41 years old, I am active and not overweight. I just have a crappy back. Post surgery, I was left with permanent numbness in my left foot from trauma (the disc that was operated on re herniated 5 days after my first surgery). All that said, the ONLY thing that has helped alleviate my pain is consistent physical therapy. In my opinion, you can try all of those meds and maybe you will get some relief? I've heard lyrica is a good medication for nerve pain also, but long term you have to strengthen your core and stretch you legs and back muscles. I am now a regular at this local Pilates studio. I know it's hard to deal with, but back pain (yes, even disc related back pain) will get better... It just takes time and patience. So, for now, rest, heat, naproxen, and amitriptyline. Avoid surgery at all cost! It's a last resort & if someone suggests a fusion, get a second opinion. I'm not just a back pain sufferer, I'm a registered nurse. Trust me. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks very much for the reply and advise Michelle, much appreciated. My name is Graham and I am 49 and pretty fit used to run every day.

You have said very much what a couple of my friends said who have suffered bad back pain. NO SURGERY, and excercise both suggested yogo. 

Cheers

• Posted

Hi Graham,

You will run again, you just have to be patient and rehabilitate first. I'm (obviously) not opposed to surgery, I just think it's a last resort. Especially a spinal fusion. A microdiscectomy would be something to consider but a fusion is a huge deal. Anyway, good luck Graham. 

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

Just been told 32 weeks wait for MRI scansad Had one of my most painful nights and day with the spasms of pain very regular down both feet. I think I can just about hop so I look forward to the day I'm back running again. lol

Graham

• Posted

Graham,

I'm sorry you had a crappy night. Can you describe the pain? Is there anything that alleviates it? The MRI might show slipped discs but the treatment doesn't change (keep that in mind). The only thing that is going to help you right now is PT and the right pain med (best way to get the right pain med is to describe your symptoms well). Sometimes a muscle relaxer will help (Valium is best for back pain) and or an NSAID called toradol (injection) can help. You should call your PCP. Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your reply. I am on naproxen (NSAID) and recently went onto amitriptyline. I have told my doctor about the constant pain and asked for more help with this, hence the amitriptyline. All this seems to do is make you feel drowsy, and helps slightly with sleep. The pain is in both feet, more the right foot. It is a constant burning, tingling sensation, like pins and needles. Then I get spams of intense pain shooting through the feet. It sometimes makes the right leg jerk up. This has gotten more frequent the last 24 hours.

Cheers Graham

• Posted

You might benefit from a muscle relaxer. It will make you drowsy. There is one called orphenadrine- that doesn't make you drowsy. But typically Valium is best for back (where your pain is originating from) pain. Also flexeril (that makes you drowsy). Keep me posted. I'm thinking of ya! 
    • Posted

Thanks MIchelle nice to have a whinge and someone listen to and respond. Have a great weekend, Graham

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.