Very Painful Legs and Sweating

Posted , 4 users are following.

Although I have never been diagnosed with diabetes, my glucose has gone quite high in the past but when I cut down on sugar it goes to normal.  Regardless, I have had episodes of what must be neuropathy in the past eight years or so.  They are not very frequent but terrible.  My feet and legs [hands, too, to some degree] ache severely.  This can be relieved with Ibuprofen for awhile but lasts for days and even weeks.  The attacks are accompanied by a kind of cold sweat all over the body and this part is worse than the pain for me.  My entire body feels cold and clammy to the touch, but my temperature is normal.  The first time I had this, I felt very cold most of the time and that feeling was not relieved until I began to perspire from putting on lots of clothing and covering up.  The leg pain was there then, too, especially at night. But now I don't feel especially cold.  I feel sick in a general way and have trouble sleeping due to the discomfort.  About a year ago I went to Urgent Care with this same problem.  Nothing was found despite blood tests.  Now I am experiencing the same symptoms for nearly three weeks.  Some days I feel almost normal and then the next day the whole thing flares up with a vengeance.  Today has been really awful, perhaps because I got less sleep than usual last night.  I am 70 years old. Has anyone who is not a diabetic had these symptoms?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have neuropathy in both arms, hands and some fingers due to injuries. I have had burning in my shoulder blade and knee for the same reason.  I also get pain and numbness. However, I don’t have the other symptoms you are experiencing.  My neuropathy comes and goes and is worse in cold, damp, weather but disappears in hotter climates.   I am not diabetic.
  • Posted

If you are on any medication have you searched adverse reaction.  Second has your TSH  levels been checked  which is a test for your thyroid.
    • Posted

I am on all the same medication as usual.  The only difference is my pharmacy is now getting its drugs from a different supplier--so not same manufacturers.  My thyroid function has been tested on different occasions. being suspected as a culprit for some problem or another but there is never anything wrong with it.  I'm sure it was tested last year when I had the identical problem--normal.  Out of curiosity I checked the patient portal of the health care provider, which is also linked to the Urgent Care facility and the hospital.  It states I went into the UC on 3/20/17--so it really has been about a year!  Strange.  The attending physician's notes concluded nothing except somewhat short on potassium.  I have some packets so already took a dose of that today--didn't help. That's why I'm in no hurry, despite my discomfort, to go there again.  I came here to see if anyone else has had this weird combination of symptoms, although I really don't wish this on anyone.  Thanks for your responses, though, and your interest, Pippa and Curly.  If I am just as bad tomorrow, I will probably go in.  

• Posted

Just following up on my initial post--as I believe people should so we can all learn more about these symptoms and conditions.  I have been seen in the interim and had a blood profile taken--inconclusive.  The UC physician suggested, however, that if I don't improve, I should see a rheumatologist.  I waited a bit and did seem to improve as far as the constant sweating and leg pain was concerned, but I have continued to perspire copiously for no reason at intervals [not characteristic of me at all] and during the night.  So I can't really say I'm getting better or closer to understanding what the problem is and will take the doctor's advice.  The rheumatologist is next.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.