Very restricted food list and nutrition

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi! I have oral allergy syndrome. It's taken most plant based food off the table. They suspect celiac's also. Currently I'm eating dairy, meat of all kinds, gluten free bread products, cucumber, lettuce, blueberries,potatoes, corn, and basmati or jasmine rice. Also coke zero and white monster. Other carbonated products trigger allergies or swelling.

No food coloring.

No other fruit or vegetables.

No spices except salt.

I'm Vit d deficient (chronic), recently iron dropped and then hematocrit, hemoglobin and.. hm another one. So, anemic. (No menses for over two years, but had had two normal ones). Potassium, calcium, sodium, b12 all look good. Don't know about folate absorption, because I have the a1298c double mutation.

Had to stop oral lmetylfolate and Vit d due to allergies/angioedema.

This doesn't look like optimal nutrition, but I can't take oral vitamins either. I recently found Vit d skin patches I'm going to try. Any other suggestions?

Anyone else in this position?

Thanks! Jen

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Can they not use injectable d ?

I was tested for celiac,luckily negative.

Sounds as though you are having a really bad time. I'm sorry !

I believe chronic stress levels can block absorbtion though whilst this theory seems to hold water in the States it doesn't seem to be accepted in the UK

• Posted

I am trying patches before injection. I'd hate to get a huge amount and have anaphylaxis. I can see if smaller levels in a non oral form cause a contact allergy. If not, then small injection first. I will likely always need large supplementation doses, because as you saw from my post, I got only a small uptick over 5 months using 5000 iu . I don't hold it regardless of how much I am given, despite a lot of skin on sun, fish, etc.

I have talked to others with similar immune problems as mine. It seems to go hand-in-hand with autoimmune dysfunction.

I have no lab correlation with excessive stress (such as cortisol, etc). It seems to just be a byproduct of the underlying dysfunction

Jen

• Posted

Yes and no. All ok with d atm. Mri clear. Endoscopy discovered polyps and will repeat in 3yrs.

B9 good now. I honestly believe mine was due to cortisol blocking after 2yrs chronic stress. Was really relieved when mri was clear as you can imagine.

I too have an auto immune problem found 19yrs ago but only seemed to cause problems in pregnancy.

If you can cope with patches i do wish you luck. My apologies for having come over it what must have read as confrontational !

Please let me know how you progress

Jane

• Posted

Just keep an eye out. Autoimmune problems are known to frolicking together (statistically speaking, for example, having hashimotos makes you much more likely to slowly develop any of seven common autoimmune problems over the rest of your life). I wish you all the best and hope the gut problems and polyps stay gone gone gone!! 😁😁😁
  • Posted

Jenny, very few people with oral allergy syndrome are unable to eat cooked fruits and vegetables as it denatures the protein causing the allergic reaction. My son has OAS and we have found that a very light cooking is enough to make all fruit and veg safe. Have you tried this? It could substantially widen your diet. 

All best wishes. 

:-)

• Posted

Yes. Unfortunately. I have tried being a good little eater most of my years, following the food pyramid and getting sicker and sicker. Most recently they did a good challenge with hamburgers and a different variety of greenery in each one. (Double blind test). Face swelling. Throat swelling, gut swelling, asthma... it was awesome. But that's me. I'ma meatatarian.

• Posted

What a bummer. You must have a much more serious reaction to the tree pollens causing cross sensitization with food proteins than most. If you have a specific trigger (for most people it's birch pollen), you might be considered a candidate for specific pollen immunotherapy that could possibly dampen down the hyped-up immune response you are having to everything. 

• Posted

I'm allergic to.. I think around a hundred trees, pollens, grasses, molds..

Crazy, huh?

• Posted

Hi Jennie

Poor you, your diet is dire.

You can get Vit D injections( although my Gp said you could not.) Also try to stay in the sun 15 minutes a day if possible for Vit D from sunlight exposure.

I was given Vit D injections monthly by my consultany gastroenterologist along with my Vit B12 injections monthly when I had total parental nutrition which is intravenous feeding for 3 years. I had this for total obstruction of my GI tract resolved by removing most of my small bowel. I have a gluten free, lactose free, caffine free and low fat diet.

Sorry I'm not much help other than Vitamins may be given by injection if prescribed by a Dr, or absorb it from the sun if possible.

• Posted

Wow. Sounds like you have been through a lot. I will check into the injections. Maybe I could give them to myself. I used to give myself b12 injections. I appreciate the suggestion!

Good luck on your journey.

Jen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.