Very severe lower back pain

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis 3years ago when I was suffering really bad back and leg pain and mushy loose bowel, once the gi did colonoscopy everything settled, now for past two weeks I've had really severe back and leg pain and anal pain, I'm on cipro but only feeling worse, I'm worried that it's not a fkre up of diverticulitis this time but something worse as no one else seems to suffer back or leg pain, I don't suffer much side or Abdominal pain, can anyone else trlate to the lower back pain, it's really bad to the point where it makes walking very difficult, Tks for reading

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Before I had the clear out for the Colonoscopy I had horrendous backache to the point like you I could barely walk and was in agony. After the clear out all my back pain went. As time goes on it is gradually coming back again. I also get pain on right side of abdomen when most people get it on the left. 
    • Posted

Hi sally

I really appreciate your reply, Im like that also it's so hard to walk especially up stairs, can I ask how long you felt like that before your colonoscopy, ws there any painkiller that worked for you, I'm going into my third week like this now and starting to feel very down

• Edited

I also get pain on the right side and not the left. Also backache  and difficulty walking because of the pain.
    • Posted

Hi Angela

Tks for your reply, appreciate it, did you have colonoscopy and did it bring any relief?

• Edited

Hi

Diagnosed 5 yrs ago by colonoscopy. They wouldn’t do the colonoscopy until the flare up had healed. I haven’t had too many flare ups thank goodness but when I do like you seem to get pain almost all over! Mushy bowels,mucus,blood, feeling sick,no appetite. First flare up was given antibiotics and subsequently take paracetamol and apply heat to lower stomach and back. Try not to worry about it being something else ( but we all do it) it’s very unlikely especially as you had a colonoscopy 3 yrs ago . Keep to a bland diet and keep hydrated. It’s such a miserable condition and seems to affect people in different ways. 

• Posted

Tks Angela for your reassuring words, I think when we go tru this horrible stuff we tend to worry about worse things especially when the pain is so severe, hope for you it's not too bad at moment

• Edited

I am 2.5 weeks into my first flare. It happened on my right side and diagnosed by a CT scan. I went on Cipro and Flagyl and the abdominal pain get a little better but about 6 days into the antibiotics i started having really bad back/hip/side pain. Went to the ER and they did another scan that showed the diverticulitis inflammation had almost gone away, so they said my pain was likely muscle spasm and probably because I was splinting on that side due to the diverticulitis. I am still having occasional bouts of back and side pain and I still feel a fullness in my right lower abdomen but not as bad as before. Tylenol (paracetamol) seems to help somewhat
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply, really appreciate it, strange that you got back and hip pain after the flare up, hope things are settling down for you now
    • Posted

Just wondering what the outcome was?I'm literally day 5 of same antibiotics, abdominal pain is fine but now I have terrible lower back, hip, and left leg pain.

Thanks!

• Posted

Hello. I have Chrons and when I have a flare up I experience back and upper leg pain and at it's worst I could barely walk because it was so painful. I try to stay away from bulky foods and stew my chicken and beef to soften it and make it easier to digest.

• Posted

a lot of times the medicine will cause back pain especially CIPRO. They are killer drugs!

• Posted

I was very recently diagnosed after a trip to the ER. Had very bad lower back pain in addition to the excruciating pain in my lower abdomin. Diverticulitis confirmed via CT scan. Think I'm in for a very long road to recovery. Will take it one day at a time so as to not get overwhelmed. Thanks to this community, nice to know that I'm not going to travel this road alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.