Very short fainting spells

Posted , 5 users are following.

About a month or so ago, I experienced something very weird. I was in the car with my husband (thank god he was driving that day). We were talking and all of a sudden I hear his voice fading away. Then I felt tunnel vision and sort of a “drowsiness” feeling. Feeling confused and lightheaded by then, I try to blink and look around my surroundings, and I felt as if I was almost fading away from everything (sort of the feeling when you are right about to fall asleep). I also remember my breath slowing down.

I struggle not to “fall asleep” and try to keep my fluttering eyes open. I can feel my breathing being heavy and slow, I was sort of gasping for air. I manage to come back to normal and ask my husband what he was saying and if anything happened because for those short few seconds/minutes (I honestly have no clue how long this went on for in reality-to me it felt like a while) I couldn’t clearly recall what he had said. During this time, his words sounded very distant and then eventually I couldn’t hear anything. He asked me if I was OK.

I think this sort of occurrence happened once before this and once after this again, but both of them were not as scary as this one.

I don’t know if this is in any way related, but I do experience lightheadedness often (whether it is after standing up or random),

Does anybody have any idea why this happened?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

could be a vegal response but you want to ask for a ecg and echo to rule out heart problem, then push for autonomic dysfunction testing , definatly sounds like a nervous system glitch as many systems involved , but get more serious ie heart problems looked into first 😃 if none of these could be a hormonal (gland) issue

• Posted

Monique,

It is definitely autonomic nervous system dysfunction. I have been diagnosed with it and just came out of the blue for me too at a restaurant. I see a heart doctor and neurologist. Although there is no cure you can try and manage it with diet, exercise and calming activities and lifestyle. Good luck to you.

Debbie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.