Very slow progress following TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had a left total knee replacement 11 weeks ago. I spent 7 days in hospital whilst everyone else with the same op went home after 3 or 4 and seemed to sail through those first few days. I had a lot of swelling and a lot of pain. I still need to take OxyContin twice a day.  I can’t bend my knee past 60 degrees and still need a crutch to aid my walking. I do all of the excercises I should. 

The things that concern me are 1) I haven’t had my 6 week post op check with the surgeon yet. I rang the hospital about this to be told my name is in the book but there are too many patients and not enough appts and 2) I haven’t had any physio yet. I also queried this to be told not enough appts available and to just wait. I just feel like I’ve had my op and now I’m on my own doing the best I can but it doesn’t seem enough. It seems like the opportunity for maximum recovery has been missed. Anyone else In the same situation? 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you to everyone for your encouraging words. I am definitely going to chase up my post op appt with the surgeon again especially as the movement I have in my knee is very limited. From reading all your comments I can see how everyone’s recovery is different. Nothing prepared me for this. It is much worse than I ever imagined but I will just have to persevere and be patient. 
    • Posted

Hang in there caroline!

It does get better!

You may like to go to my profile by clicking on the image next to my name. I kept a journal of my own knee replacement journey, and I have been told by several people they found it helpful to read, or skim through. There is an abridged version which is shorter as well! It has a lot of useful suggestions and information.

Best wishes for your healing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.