Very sore mid back pain following winter virus

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi,  I am new to the forum and wondered if anyone is sharing a similar experience to me.  On Christmas Day I started feeling sooo unwell and ended up in casualty following a call to 911.  I was most concerned about a pain in my mid back on the right hand side as well as feeling terrible in myself.  The nurse asked for a urine sample and came back saying I had a water infection and gave me some anti-biotics, when I asked about the pain in my back she said that this was just a red herring. After many days feeling almost comatose my general condition improved but the back pain intensified.  Blood tests revealed that I had been quite poorly and the inflammation reading in my blood test was something like 123 when it should have been 5.  However, subsequent blood tests showed that this had just about come back down to normal but I still have this debilitating back problem.  I have had an ultra- sound to rule out kidney stones and a back and side X-ray which agai showed only mild degeneration of my spine which the doctor said is to be expected.  I am normally a fit and healthy 62 years young.  Sorry this is so long winded!!  I am now on strong pain killers and have paid privately to see an acupuncturist, an orthopaedic massage person and lastly, a physiotherapist who crunched and twisted me and diagnosed Tietze syndrome.  Since my visit to the physio I have been really sore in the back but he said it will hurt more before it gets better.  I am not convinced of this diagnosis as subsequent research on the Internet informs me that Tietze occurs mainly in the chest area and is often mistaken for a heart attack.  I am now almost continually in pain, the soreness now in both sides of my middle back extending down to and around the sides of my waist and even leaning back on a chair makes my back very sore.  I cannot take anti-inflammatory meds because of other medication I am taking so am relying on home made health drinks containing lots of fresh ginger, cyber vinegar and fresh raw fruit and vegetables. As the doctor is baffled, she has referred me to a Consultant but this is not until the 17th March when I will have had this back pain almost three months.  Has anyone else got or knows of anyone with the same symptoms or has any answers the I would be most grateful to hear from you. Thank you for reading this and I hope to hear from you soon. Xx

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Joyce,

I was actually seeking some advice for my partner who has come down with back pain most likely due to a winter virus. I could not help but read your story, I am very sorry to hear about your ongoing pain!

I work within the health care industry and perhaps your back pain is related to Fibromyalgia or Polymyalgia Rheumatica?

The latter responds well to long term steroids. It is usually a diagnosis confirmed by raised inflammatory markers, ESR or CRP. It sounds like this is may be a cause of your back pain.

Fibromyalgia is a diagnosis of exclusion.

It could also be a prolapsed disc, however this would have been picked up on your scans.

The amytriptiline and gabapentin is for nerve pain. Is your pain described as shooting? If the pain is more of a 'muscle pain' then this may not be appropriate.

Also, you can be referred to the pain clinic. They often prescribe lidocaine patches that can be applied to the area of your pain to help with your daily activities.

I hope all gets better for you soon!

• Posted

Hello Joyce, I was reading your story and it sounds just like my husband's problem. He has been suffering for a month now and can't seem to find out why?

Have you ever gotten a correct diagnosis?

I would appreciate any help

Barb

• Posted

Hi Randy,  It seems that my diagnosis is neuropathic pain that must have come about because of the virus I had a few years back.  My kind of pain is called Allodynia which means a heightened sensitivity to touch.  I can have a deep tissue massage on the area of my back without any pain but if I lean back in a chair or try to wear a bra then I am in agony.  If you look into neuropathic pain it usually has an underlying cause and because I haven't got anything I can put mine down to I.e a disc problem or similar it becomes very frustrating.  The pain is caused by the sheath that covers the nerves in our body (rather like the outer coating on an electric cable) becoming damaged thus leaving the nerves jangling about and sending pain messages to the brain.  Believe me, I have tried just about everything to help myself but to no avail.  I just get on with my life as best I can and try not to let my pain show on my face.  I do hope your husband finds the answer to his pain and that he gets better very soon.  Kindest regards ??

• Posted

Hi Joyce, I hope you have found relief for your back.  Over a month ago I was suddenly overcome with chills, I took Advil and put on extra clothes and was fine for a day.  My arms and legs were very sore, when these systems went away the pain settled into my middle back.  I have seen 6 doctors and went to ER, Most doctors thought it was a tick born virus. I have had every test from CT scans of head to ct scans of pelvic area, many blood test, spinal tab, ultra sound of kidneys and gullblatter, All test came back negative.  They checked for meningitus, ms, cancer, lymes, and more.  I am 66 yrs old and have been very healthy my whole life, I exercize and eat healthy.  This back pain has stopped me cold.  I cant sleep at night, my doctor removed my gullblatter but it didn't help.  I taking tamadol but even that didn't make it go away.  After the gullblatter surgery I am on tylenal 3 and that has helped my back but I have a limited supply and as soon as I cut back my back pain returns.  I feel that my life has totally changed, I really don't know where to go from here.  Can you tell me where you are at this time and if you were able to pin point and manage your back pain.  Thank you so much for sharing.  Rita 05515

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.