Very strange sensation?

Posted , 39 users are following.

So iv had this new symptom for a while now

It's hard to explain but it feels like for 1-2 seconds I zone out/black out/go unconscious/die/out of body experience/shock in chest and head

It's kind of like I forget I'm alive for a second and come back or like I'm drifting in and out of consciousness and I feel a little shock

I don't actually pass out or see black or anything like that though

Does anyone understand? Or have this?

I don't even know what to say to my doctor it sounds strange

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

sounds very much like depersonalisaon, very common with anxiety in general. its very disturbing i know. try to just let it pass, it wont do you any harm, its just anxiety presenting itself in a different way.  dealing with your anxiety in general will help it
    • Posted

understanding that actually helps❤
  • Edited

Yes this sounds like something I experience. I feel like I'm fading away or body is shutting down (similiar to how a computer shuts down and reboots) then I get a sort of buzz in my brain like an alarm and I'm back . This has happened to me when I'm awake and sometines falling asleep, it seems like the exact moment I fall asleep I feel like I'm leaving my body then my brain buzzes and Im back and wake up.
    • Posted

Yes! Perfect description haha

That is exactly what happens to me when I'm falling asleep

But do you have it during the day too? I do now sad

• Posted

I have had it happen in the day time too. It seems like episides that lasted for a week at a time. I think the last time I felt it was a 3 or 4 wks ago. I also noticed it seems like it was happening when my sleep pattern was off and there were nights I couldn't fall asleep maybe it could be linked?? Like anxiety + lack of sleep, fatigue, or your sleep pattern being off causing it?

Just like you I thought what should I tell my doc this sounds bizarre I don't want to be sent 2 the nut house!!

• Posted

this is exactly what it feels like . i can almost hear a computer shutting down in my head . there is a buzzing sensation that comes with it , and it feels like the moment before you fall asleep. im curious if anyone here has vertigo .. the experience is similar and i think theyre linked .

• Posted

Has anyone stumbled across what this actually is? This describes me to a T...I've had this going on for years and a few months ago out of no where I had what appeared to be a seizure for the first time, deja vu feeling prior and shortly after had another episode. I went to the ER and had a 3rd episode and flatlined for 14 seconds. They almost put in a pacemaker, but neurologist said it seemed liked possible epilepsy. I've had over 30 tests run in the hospital and they can't figure out if my heart stopped and it looked like a seizure because of the lack of blood flow, or if a seizure causes me to flatline. I'm 30, super healthy, never done any drugs, rarely drink. The doctors have me on keppra currently tly, but from time to time I have these intense moments that you guys have described perfectly. I used to get those brief feelings of lapses in consciousness but since my "seizures" they've been a little more intense. Just wondering if anyone has figured it out because I tried telling g the neurologist today about these brief moment ts but he's unsure and they can be hard to describe.

• Posted

This is the closest thing I've ever found to describe what happens to me. It's like a light switch flips off - like I'm passed out while awake. It's so scary. I don't see it as depersonalization or anxiety. It's like a disconnect but it's so hard to describe I avoid telling anyone and I have no idea how to describe to a doctor without getting stamped with crazy.

It got so bad one day I went to ER - my bp was high as well as my heart rate. I can always feel when it ends and even the nurse could tell -- it must have been physically obvious when it stopped. I was not stressed out and I'm familiar with anxiety.... and even tho it may sound like anxiety, I'm 99% sure it's not that. I do know now that it happens when I've gotten little sleep.

I can't think of anything that I've ever experienced that's been more scary. I used to take Vyvanse and since I stopped that and switched to Adderall it's improved or has happened less often. I can't find a connection there tho.

I found a little bit of info on sleep attacks and narcolepsy but that doesn't sound as extreme as this feels. I don't get the shock like others described but I have felt that a few times when I've had sleep issues.

I can always feel when the episode "ends" - sometimes it can last for hours on end. Again, I don't believe it's anxiety or panic attacks because it's never connected with anxiety but always when I'm tired or didn't sleep much.

I know this thread is old but if anyone figures out anything, it would be so appreciated.

• Posted

It happens to me too, and it makes me anxious after. I worry that it will happen again. I'm an interpreter and it has happened a few times while I was interpreting during a very important meeting. It leaves me feeling very anxious and depressed as I don't know when it's going to happen next. But as you say I think it tends to happen more when I didn't get a good night's sleep. It's scary! As if my brain starts to shut down or fall asleep or something like that,and I have to shake my head to send that sensation away. It started happening only recently.

• Posted

It could maybe be a response to your body being in stress? like the lack of sleep creates stress and then whatever else may be going on too? idk

• Posted

Hello Jay my girlfriend has a similar feeling and she don't know what to say to her doctor either I was wondering since this post has the symptoms continued and if there's any way we can compare info to try to get some help for both of u

• Posted

Look up “brain zaps”.  They can be related to  certain medications and can also be related to no longer taking a medication.  You just have to always remember and say”I am ok!”  And “there is that silly brain zap again and make fun of it”.  That gives you back control over it.  Let me know if thos helps you.  It did me.
  • Edited

Did anyone ever find out what this is?

I have the same sensation.   It started a month and a bit ago after an allergic reacrion to medication. This sensation put me in the hospital twice. The only thing they say was low heart voltage but they didn’t run MRI. Just routine bloodwork and ECG.

When I happens I’m awake, not dizzy not blacking out and my eyes aren’t heavy. It feels like that moment when you are on the  precipice of sleep and you sort of “shut down” and then you drop into sleep. Only I’m awake. It feels like im shutting down and stops for a few seconds,feels terrifying, and then there is a major surge. It feels like I’ve slipped into unconsciousness but it is not passing out or falling asleep. It’s like something is scrambled. Like it running the “drop of to sleep” program at the wrong time.  Once when I checked my BP 1 minute after my blood pressure was through the roof at 156/74. That was “the surge”. Usually my blood pressure is very low.  

Friends have said maybes it’s mini seizures or narcolepsy.  

anyone ever get a diagnosis? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.