Very stubborn skin infection - what is it?! (Pics attached)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi folks,

I hope you can help me here as whatever it is I'm facing is really starting to wear me down.

Around 6 months ago, I got an itch down below and being a guy, ignored it, hoping it would go away eventually. I'm guessing it was Jock Itch. I had a red rash over the manhood and balls and what looked like a ringworm sort of infection on my groin. (Picture of recently attached)

I tried LOADS of different creams on my own: Canestan, Daktarin as well as various different numbing creams for the itching.

Eventually, it got so bad that I did go to the Dr. They told me they thought it was a fungal infection and prescribed me with 7 days of fluconazole, as well as a fungal cream and some anti-hystemines. The symptoms did subside a little after around 6 days but came back once the 7 day prescription ended.

By this time, another infection was starting to develop on my back and face. I think it must be related to what's going on down below. I went to the Dr again and was given a further 7 days on Fluconazole. I was also given a steroid cream as I was told I had seborrheic dermatitis on my face. 

This time, the fluconazole didn't work and the steroid cream, as you can imagine, just made things worse. It helped the itching but didn't stop anything.

So I went back to the Dr and was given 4 weeks on Fluconazole.

Just finished the 4 weeks and there's been no difference. The infection has gotten much worse. My face is constantly burning and I'm itching all over. There's infection on my legs, back, neck, manhood and face. It's starting to really affect my day to day life.

Doing some research, I suspect it could be a Tinea infection and that my body became resistent to the Fluconazole after two 7 day treatments on it?

Please, if anyone can help, I'll love you forever.

Pictures attached.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Poor John, you have my sympathy.

Have you been tested for diabetes, for example?  

Has ringworm been ruled out?

I have been on Fluconazole for 5 months.  I have autoimmune conditions and as a result of the drugs I have been taking, it has wiped out my immune system, so I have chronic oral candidiasis.  I also have a deviated septum so my nose is blocked and I breathe through my mouth, which adds to the problem

Undiagnosed Diabetes can cause candidiasis [thrush], which is why I asked you whether you have been tested.  My GP told me that I can take Fluconazole for 6 months, I haven't found out what happens then!  I am also under a Dermatologist for the autoimmune disease.  Perhaps you should ask to be referred.  Your GP seems to have run out of ideas.  Dermatology waiting lists can be very long.

I'm surprised that the steroid cream made things worse.  Daktacort is often helpful, soothing if nothing else.

• Posted

Thanks for your replies. I am going to the dr again tomorrow so will see what they say.

I haven't been tested for diabetes but I'm only 20 and study nutrition/personal training so it would be unbelievably strange if I had it.

Tried Daktacourt to no avail as well!

Ringworm hasn't been ruled out but surely the things ive taken already would have got rid of that?

• Posted

Not necessarily.  GPs don't tend to give a high enough dose of some drugs and you should test for diabetes, 

And if you have been given antihistamines, my GP gave me one called Hydroxyzine, which is an old fashioned, sedating type which works well with itching.  I started with 10mg and went to 25mg/night but found I had to take it at 7pm, otherwise I found it impossible to wake up early enough the following morning.

Once they have ruled out obvious causes, you should be referred to a Dermatologist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.